426 stroker kit opinions?

-

BoredandStroked

Reaction score
What is your alls opinions on the new 426 Stroker kit for the 360 block? Think it would be to much clearancing involved and weakin the block? They say the rotating assembly is lightened up so it will rev fast but have loads of torque. Whats everyones opinions?

lenweiler said:
Looked at that also. I made some emails and got some answers. I finally decided that it was too much stoke for the bore. Most guys still seem to be staying max at the 4". Loading up the cylinder with even worse rod ratio also. Perhaps with a big piston, like a 4.180" or better.

That was/is my conclusion also. I really wanted to go out to 426ci but have decided to stick with the 4 inch stroke when I get ready to build.

Yep me too guys. I think you need a 340 race block with the larger bore to be safe. And I felt that the amount to grind for rod clearance was all I felt good about on the bottom of the bores.

Also it is a lot more $$ for a few more cubes huh...

As they say, just because you can build something, doesn't mean you should.
I put a 4 inch arm in my 340 and I absolutely love it. It's in my Roadrunner right now and it flat moves the car like there was a lightweight big block in it. I have a shot at a 440, which I am seriously considering, but I like the way the whole package works right now. But, then again, that hyper little stroker in my 2800 lbs. Valiant would be extremely dangerous. Well, I guess we all know what I am going to do.....

Revhendo.

Revhendo said:
As they say, just because you can build something, doesn't mean you should.
I put a 4 inch arm in my 340 and I absolutely love it. It's in my Roadrunner right now and it flat moves the car like there was a lightweight big block in it. I have a shot at a 440, which I am seriously considering, but I like the way the whole package works right now. But, then again, that hyper little stroker in my 2800 lbs. Valiant would be extremely dangerous. Well, I guess we all know what I am going to do.....

Revhendo.

Yep mine is going into my 64 GT Dart with 3.91s and a 727 3k stall. Should run really good. Long story is I had a race only circle track 273 that was fast on a track, but best 1/4 time when setup for a 1/4 was high 13s. What do you think your stroker puts up for HP and torque? Did you use iron heads etc?

I know a guy in El Paso who built a 426 with a Hughes kit with a stock 360 Magnum block (95 Ram 1500). It can be done...but I can't really say it's worth the $$$.

I'll do the good/simple 408 when/if I ever decide to step up from my 360 (too cheap to buy a 340 block).

I don't know you guys. I don't think I'd have a problem with building one. The Chevy and Ford guys all run worse rod/stroke ratios than we could ever get. They seem to do quite well. It seems that we Mopar guys are reluctant to push the envelope but the brand X guys are doing it. We should be able to get away with it easier and better than they should.

I say if a Chevy can do it, we can do it and still be more reliable.

A million penguins can't be wrong? The rod ratio was only part of it, for me.

sure I agree with what you are saying about the chevy ford guys, but if I ended up with that much $$$$ I would just put a big block in the car and be done with it, sub frame it what ever it takes. And it would be less. I have seen that the 340 race block can go up to over 450 cubes with enough bucks. But man it get costly.

I just think at some point you need to draw the line.

Hey it is funny, I have the origional sales literature from my 64 Dart GT. The 273 option was $171 more than the slant 6! Man have times changed... :thumbup:

I think I'd be much more inclined to build it on a 340 block. At leas tthe bigger bore spreads the load a little more. I would build it for a drag car, or a low rpm street car. I wouldnt expect it to last very long tho. Under 10,000 miles before needing a redo.

yep on the 340, even the stock block and not the racing block. The larger bore gives less valve shrouding and I think that the older 340 blockers are a little stronger too. But then again the 360 has a fatter main..

It seems that we Mopar guys are reluctant to push the envelope but the brand X guys are doing it. We should be able to get away with it easier and better than they should.

That is exactly what I am saying. I love to push that envelope. An example is I just found some 1 7/8 inch tubing when I was cleaning up at work and what else, I am going to use them to build headers haha. I mean Danger Mouse, the Super Chevy project engine, 355 made 697 horsepower.

I just wanted everyones opinion, and yes I agree, it does seem alot to clearance for. I will email thema nd ask if they have done any testing for this stroker kit yet. They should have so I will post what they say. Thanks guys!

From my sonic testing, I can say the "best" blocks I've found are the 71-73 340s. One I just did has a minimum of .199" on the major thrust in one bore, all the others were over .210, and that's with the .030 over bore it has. To put it in perspective, trying to find .150 on the major thrust can be a pain on a std bore block...

You're asking Hughes to comment on one of his creations? I'm sure that package has played a large part in stopping global warming, releiving starving in Africa, and helped a blind woman to see. And they are the only place that can build one right. ;)

-
Back