42RH build recommendations

-

modart440

Reaction score
5.9 Magnum usual aftermarket parts Eddy heads mild roller cam air gap intake 750 Demon carb fresh 9:1 shortblock.My question is in regards to the 42 RH trans build for the car. Car will have approximately 350-375 hp. Is it really necessary to go crazy on the trans built or just a good solid stock type complete rebuild to stock specs or possibly red alto clutches and steels with a fresh 2500 stall LU converter and Transgo stg2 shift kit. Car is a Pro Touring type build big suspension and brakes. 95 % street driven 3:55 gears.Looking for opinions from people in the trans buisness or others that have done this trans swap.
Thanks in advance

5.9 Magnum usual aftermarket parts Eddy heads mild roller cam air gap intake 750 Demon carb fresh 9:1 shortblock.My question is in regards to the 42 RH trans build for the car. Car will have approximately 350-375 hp. Is it really necessary to go crazy on the trans built or just a good solid stock type complete rebuild to stock specs or possibly red alto clutches and steels with a fresh 2500 stall LU converter and Transgo stg2 shift kit. Car is a Pro Touring type build big suspension and brakes. 95 % street driven 3:55 gears.Looking for opinions from people in the trans buisness or others that have done this trans swap.
Thanks in advance
do all the updates. I know on a 46re that could cost up to about 700 or 800, just parts

I put a 42RH behind my 5.9 magnum. Didn't do a total rebuild, but did put in the Alto red clutches and kolene steels, new front band,and I did the Transgo shift kit, some new gaskets and seals.
Running great, shifts nice, I have just the basic magnum build as well, airgap, Edelbrock 1406, stock cam so maybe a little less HP than yours.
The overdrive trans was one of the best things I've done to my car. So nice being able to cruise the highway at a nice low rpm.

You guys want the updated manual valve that allows flow where the stock doesn't.
Drain back, crummy servo that jams up, 1st planetary needs steel 3 gear or better, not the aluminum 4 or 5.

There are many corners cut on those transmissions. That's why they kill themselves.

You guys want the updated manual valve that allows flow where the stock doesn't.
Drain back, crummy servo that jams up, 1st planetary needs steel 3 gear or better, not the aluminum 4 or 5.

There are many corners cut on those transmissions. That's why they kill themselves.
Anyone else?

Anyone else?
Agree, id like to hear all that other have had done to theirs. Mine in truck was nearward of 2,700. 1000 in parts, convertor included.
I bought a derale deep pan as well and a cooler separate from the rad. Too expensive to not do right!

-
Back