42rh transmission

-

dICKj

Reaction score
If I pull a 1994 318 magnum and auto trans from a p/ u and change to carburetor, do I need some kind of computer for the transmission?

Since the transmission is a RH the original computer told it when to shift to OD and LU based on Speed and thrittle oressure. By using the kit from PATC, it tells the transmission when to shift into OD and LU rather than using a computer. PATC is at transmissioncenter.net I will be using the same kit in my 65 Dart with a 42RH behind a 273/235

I've forgotten when they switched. Look at the connectors on the trans. The horizontal one coming off the driver's side is always 3 pin, that is reverse/ neutral safety. The vertical one next to it will either be 3 pin (RH, no computer) or "several more" (RE, electronic, needs computer)

The 3 pin connector controls converter lockup and OD function

If I pull a 1994 318 magnum and auto trans from a p/ u and change to carburetor, do I need some kind of computer for the transmission?

No. Toggle switches are enough to control OD and lock up. Can also get the line pressure kit to do it for you from PATC like others mentioned. OBD2 started in 1996 and brought the computer controlled transmissions with it.

There are some good threads here for conversion to RH42. Be aware, while there is no extensive modification needed for the floor pan (just some gentle massaging with a BFH), you do have to substantially revise the frame member that loops up around the transmission tunnel to clear the fourth speed electric tailshaft assembly. Since this is connected to the part of that frame member that holds the torsion bars under pressure it is really important to get this right. There is a reason that the US Car Tool trans cross member for this project weighs 4 times as much as the original! (by the way even this purpose built conversion cross member will not work without modification on the drivers side)

I don't know why everybody is so against building up the crossmember strength INSIDE the car ABOVE the floor.. Just remove the carpet padding in the braced area and it wouldn't even show a bulge.

for many that is certainly a viable option. In cases where the factory console is retained, along with the factory shifter linkage (which has to be modified) the reinforcement would be in the wrong spot, so we look for other options. The point is it needs to be addressed in some manner

-
Back