440 4 speed

-

plummkz

Reaction score
just bought a 440 for my demon but it was a automatic it came from is the crank drilled out to take a 4 speed or do i have to buy a new crank the year of the 440 is a 76

Just look at the crank and see if it's drill for a manual. Its really easy if it isn't in the car yet and a transmission hooked up to the motor.

thank you looks pretty open

You'll have a big hole there for the converter and a smaller and deeper hole in the center of that. If you have a small diameter and looks deep in the center on the crank, you can use a manual tranny. Just remember to use a pilot bushing in there.

All cranks are drilled, but many are not drilled deep enough or wide enough. The 440 (from a 1970 New Yorker) in my son's Dart was drilled deep enough, but needed an undersized pilot bushing or the later roller.

If the crank is not drilled, there is a press in roller bearing used on the magnum truck engines you can use, presses right in no need for the oil lite bushing. The new bearing supports the trans shaft fully and way better than the oil lite bushing. One problem, if your crank is not drilled and you use this bushing you must cut off approx. 1-1/2 inches from the imput shaft of the trans. (the part that goes into the crank) it is to long in a not drilled crank. This bearing can be bought at ant dealer ship, The new trucks all use them..fit in our old cranks perfect! Saves pulling the crank just for drilling.

Most all of the cast cranks were not drilled deep enough. I can tell you horror stories about Wheeler Engines back in the 70's and 80's that thought it would be great to only carry one part number for auto or stick instead of two. Problem is the cranks were to porous or they drilled into an oil galley. The shop i worked at back then did all the Sheriffs cars for Hillsborough county. I can't tell you how many of these POS I installed that leaked! I would not drill it. Use the different style bearing and shorten the imput shaft or install a steel crank kit in your 440.

If the crank is not drilled, there is a press in roller bearing used on the magnum truck engines you can use, presses right in no need for the oil lite bushing. The new bearing supports the trans shaft fully and way better than the oil lite bushing. One problem, if your crank is not drilled and you use this bushing you must cut off approx. 1-1/2 inches from the imput shaft of the trans. (the part that goes into the crank) it is to long in a not drilled crank. This bearing can be bought at ant dealer ship, The new trucks all use them..fit in our old cranks perfect! Saves pulling the crank just for drilling.

I think the input shaft needs to be shortened approx 1/2 inch not 1-1/2 inches.

I don't know who those monkeys were, but I have drilled a 383 crank and had one done at a machine shop (general machine, not auto machine). No leaks out of either...

-
Back