440 / 727 swap in a 73 duster

-

MoparLinc

Reaction score
He guys,
Looking at a 440 / 727 swap for my slant six 73 Duster and just wondering if I'll need to make the
transmission tunnel in the floor bigger???? Or will the the trans clear the factory floorpan???

It fits.
As long as it's a standard 727 and not something weird like a motor home tranny, you're good to go. 727s were standard behind 340s in A bodies.
Is it RHD?

A 727 came on the back end of a 340 in an A body and the floor pan was no different between a slant with a 904 or a 340 with a 727.

The bellhousing is likely different between a big block 727 and a small block 727 but the rest of it behind will be the same.

Besides, for 3 years a big block was available in an A body with a 727 so you will have no problems. Motor mounts will need to change (maybe K frame unless you’re using conversion mounts with your existing slant 6 k frame).

It fits.
As long as it's a standard 727 and not something weird like a motor home tranny, you're good to go. 727s were standard behind 340s in A bodies.
Is it RHD?
It's LHD currently, but I'm converting it using a local VE Chrysler Valiant dash and firewall with an aftermarket RHD tubular k frame.
The VE / VF/ VG Chryslers we have down under are basically just a RHD Dart Swinger which makes it really easy.

It's LHD currently, but I'm converting it using a local VE Chrysler Valiant dash and firewall with an aftermarket RHD tubular k frame.
The VE / VF/ VG Chryslers we have down under are basically just a RHD Dart Swinger which makes it really easy.
1708093600490.png

Pretty sure you're looking at a custom exhaust then. NO factory manifolds will fit a RHD big block A body, and header selection may be limited to only a couple of Aussie-specific offerings, if any. But I'm sure you've got that covered.
How are you converting the steering, bolting the Aussie box to the RH framerail (will need reinforcement), or going rack & pinion?

He guys,
Looking at a 440 / 727 swap for my slant six 73 Duster and just wondering if I'll need to make the
transmission tunnel in the floor bigger???? Or will the the trans clear the factory floorpan???
Yes it will clear. Long tail shaft . I am doing the same thing and just did a mock up.

Pretty sure you're looking at a custom exhaust then. NO factory manifolds will fit a RHD big block A body, and header selection may be limited to only a couple of Aussie-specific offerings, if any. But I'm sure you've got that covered.
How are you converting the steering, bolting the Aussie box to the RH framerail (will need reinforcement), or going rack & pinion?
I was definitely gonna go with a rack and pinion set up, just not sure whether or not to go a power rack setup. I want to be able to turn the wheel easily but still have a good feel through the wheel. I haven't had any experience with power rack setups before.

When you switch to LHD do you change the engine centerline in the car? If you flip the centerline then the entire body pan has to be reworked and the rear axle has to be redone.

When you switch to LHD do you change the engine centerline in the car? If you flip the centerline then the entire body pan has to be reworked and the rear axle has to be redone.
My understanding is that even the Aussie cars kept the passenger side offset, which makes things REALLY tight once you shoehorn the steering column and box in there, too. Factory smallblocks even had to run an oil filter relocation to get everything to fit.
I can only imagine what a nightmare it must be when you try to get a clutch linkage on that side too.

-
Back