440 Barracuda Notch So Hot

-

BIG-B-Barracuda

Reaction score
Hey guys.

1968 Barracuda
73' 440 Magnum stock
Heating issue sets at 190 for quite a while then moves to 230 after a long drive.

Recently put new thermostat 180*
New top hose.
And set the timing at 34 total. To have a less heat problem *initially

After driving and noticing it was at 230 I pulled over and went into the store se she could cool down after some time I came out and she wouldn't start.

I recently redid all ignition and fuel/carb so I know there is no faulty issues there I touched the coil and thing was absolutely burning.

So my thought was that the coil or other components were too hot for her to start?

Which leads to first question does the coil bracket need to be grounded? I was thinking of making a gasket of sorts so it wouldn't transfer as much heat to the coil...

Second question - is what the heck is going on here? Never have had a heating issue and all of a sudden?

When I switched out thermostat did I over fill? Or fill incorrectly? I left her on with out radiator cap to burp her but still over heating after some time driving.

Just bought a new water pump and gasket will install when they arrive.
What are the "stock" LBS. for the radiator caps 16lbs 17lbs 19lbs??? I want to buy the inexpensive things before I drop the money for a new radiator. I also plan on replacing the lower hoses soon. They are not collapsingg they have the inner spring. But they are old.

Also I have some photos on my other thread I don't have acces to them now but as far as fan shroud. Can any one tell me if I would be able to fit one with my set up. A-body 440 and particular radiator and fan not sure on the sizes..

Thanks guys... :cheers: California heat. Been really hot lately. I'm worried about her.

Is you water pump taking a poop on you? Has you block been hot tanked getting completely cleaned out? Are you running a true 50/50 antifreeze mixture (have you actually tested it)? What's stopping you from making your own shroud for it (or just try and buy one).

Is you water pump taking a poop on you? Has you block been hot tanked getting completely cleaned out? Are you running a true 50/50 antifreeze mixture (have you actually tested it)? What's stopping you from making your own shroud for it (or just try and buy one).

I think my water pump,is taking a poop on me yes.

Hot tanked? No

50/50 anti freeze yes-

How would I make a shop round?

I'd like to buy one but not sure if it would fir or which would fit.

isn't 44 total timing little high for a street car,i would think 34-38,44 would be great on some very high octane high horsepower motor,also what water pump is in it,you said you changed the thermostat,make sure theres no air pocket in it and been burbed,can you see flow in the radiator after the thermostat open and you rev it to like 1000 rpm,is there any air bubbles in radiator which will indicate a bad head gasket or cracked head,how many fins on propeller on water pump,a a/c water pump would have more fins than a non a/c water pump

isn't 44 total timing little high for a street car,i would think 34-38,44 would be great on some very high octane high horsepower motor,also what water pump is in it,you said you changed the thermostat,make sure theres no air pocket in it and been burbed,can you see flow in the radiator after the thermostat open and you rev it to like 1000 rpm,is there any air bubbles in radiator which will indicate a bad head gasket or cracked head,how many fins on propeller on water pump,a a/c water pump would have more fins than a non a/c water pump

34****. Sorry. That was a typo for sure. 34 total.
No significant bubbles or any at all
When rev'ed air flow does change and is visible when radiator cap is off when rev'd the flow gets higher - does this indicate a clogged radiator ?
The fan propeller has 6 fins.

You say this just started, and i remember that you just got a timing light and timed it.....
I'd double check that timing.

Jeff

i was thinking if timing was the issue it would have to be set to "HIGH" for it to be that but i have it at 34* and at low idle...

But i will double check that and let you guys know.

No one has answered my question about the coil.
Does the bracket need to be in direct contact to the manifold and "grounded" i wanted to put a gasket there so it wouldn't transfer as much heat to the coil.

i was thinking if timing was the issue it would have to be set to "HIGH" for it to be that but i have it at 34* and at low idle...

But i will double check that and let you guys know.

No one has answered my question about the coil.
Does the bracket need to be in direct contact to the manifold and "grounded" i wanted to put a gasket there so it wouldn't transfer as much heat to the coil.

No....no need to ground the bracket.

i replaced the lower Hose and the radiator CAP that seemed to do the trick.

also bought a new GATES water pump and gasket but not installing anymore seeing how its not over heating anymore will install if needed later.

thanks guys.

-
Back