440 block, To Sleeve or not to Sleeve

-

69413valiant

Reaction score
Was at the machine shop today and looks like #4 has a rust pit in it. The block is stand bore. My pistions are 30 over. The machine shop says that it needs to be sleeved. He also thinks that go 60 over it might not clean up. Ive never sleeved a block before. Thought? This is going to be a street / Strip motor

Ask him to rough bore it to just before .030 just to see. Sometimes it will fool even the most experienced machinists. If it needs a sleeve anyway, what's the difference?

I've had blocks clean up that I never thought would.

I've run sleeved blocks before.(440) The guy with the shop next to mine had 4 sleeves in his 340 Duster bracket racer that ran mid 11's.His block looked like swiss cheese and held up just fine.

Have had a sleeved block in the past....was not a big deal. Shop I worked at for a while sleeved blocks on a regular basis.....

I agree with Rusty - Have them rough bore it and see... It might be fine. If not, they just have to bore more anyway. Also - I'd use a shop that has a good block machining station - not a boring bar. Sleeves need very accurate machining - Do that and they are stronger than the factory iron block.

Ask him to rough bore it to just before .030 just to see. Sometimes it will fool even the most experienced machinists. If it needs a sleeve anyway, what's the difference?

I've had blocks clean up that I never thought would.

I agree with Rusty - Have them rough bore it and see... It might be fine. If not, they just have to bore more anyway. Also - I'd use a shop that has a good block machining station - not a boring bar. Sleeves need very accurate machining - Do that and they are stronger than the factory iron block.

I agree with these two members 100%!!!!!!!

Here's a left field thought.......is the pit inside or outside the area of ring travel. If the rings don't pass over the pit, it doesn't interfere with ring seal, no harm done; go! If the rings will pass over it then sleeve it, it's not a big deal.

I have a 440 block that needs 3 sleeves. Wasn't sure if it was worth the expense. But the only alternative is to purchase another block. :banghead:

My 340 has had 3 sleeves in it for decades, no probs even with 12 to 1 pistons..

It also enabled me to keep the car "numbers matching"..

All aluminum blocks are sleeved, and there's millions of 'em out there.

I'd sleeve all holes in a motor if I had endless dough. The material is better than cast iron and you know how thick they all are, unlike with casting shift.

Sleeve it, and don't look back.

-
Back