440 Cam selection help

-
Keep this in mind. The Mopar specific grinds are very noisy. The XE275HL sounds like a mechanical cam. Very aggressive ramps for a FT hydraulic.

If your going hyd. and want to stay with stock rockers, and your willing to put in the time considering the variance of the factory valvetrain, you can get your lifters done then match a lifter/rocker to each valve and measure them all for pushrod length then order the proper individual sizes for a .030/.040 preload. Surely many would be the same, but you'd have the option to get your adjustment just right.

Just spitballing here. :)

If your going hyd. and want to stay with stock rockers, and your willing to put in the time considering the variance of the factory valvetrain, you can get your lifters done then match a lifter/rocker to each valve and measure them all for pushrod length then order the proper individual sizes for a .030/.040 preload. Surely many would be the same, but you'd have the option to get your adjustment just right.

Just spitballing here. :)
Yea definitely going to measure for push rod length, I watched Uncle Tony doin that once I believe.

I mean...I get the need to have better rockers. But as long as the cam is on a standard base circle I can't see why stock rockers wouldn't work. Those stamped steel rockers are actually pretty strong.

Also the cam is barely a .500 lift deal. It's not terribly big. I bet that combo won't make power above 5500.

I mean...I get the need to have better rockers. But as long as the cam is on a standard base circle I can't see why stock rockers wouldn't work. Those stamped steel rockers are actually pretty strong.

Also the cam is barely a .500 lift deal. It's not terribly big. I bet that combo won't make power above 5500.
A few guys have said that it only makes power up to about 5,300, I’m sure it’s not the same set up but same cam. I’m sure results may vary but that’s the jist I’ve been getting.

I did find an article from Steve dulcich saying there wasn’t much use in replacing the stamped rockers unless you were going over .500 lift. Not saying that’s gospel but I respect his opinion. That’s one of the main reasons I thought I’d be fine with them.

I honestly think the stamped stuff can go a lot more than people give credit. The limiting factor is more likely around the valve springs than the lift.

^^^^^^ Agree. The stamped rockers are pretty stout. Years ago, I mocked up a test rig to see how much they flexed under load. Cannot remember the actual numbers, but there was no flexing that I could measure.

I have the xe 274 cam in the 440 in my Duster (in the engine when I bought the car). Also came with stock 452 heads and 8.0-1 compression with an Edelbrock performer intake,Edelbrock 750 carb, and tri-y headers. Ran ok. Not fast by any means. Switched to cnc ported 440 source heads,performer rpm intake and Holley 750 hp.Night and day difference in power. Even with the 2" TTi headers I put on. Too big for this combo and kills low speed torque but in anticipation of a bigger engine later. I wish I had run it with the smaller tri-y headers.Would have had a lot more bottom end/midrange I'm sure. My engine would like 2 more points of compression as well.

With the performer intake 3.23 gear would be fine. With the street dominator intake 3.55's may be the better choice. I have 3.55's in mine and am happy with them.I do plan for much more power down the road and 3.55 is a good street gear IMO.

The 1 3/4 Tti long tubes would better the tri-y everywhere if the extra $$$ doesn't break the bank. It would be fun to see the difference with them on my weak need smog motor but I am not buying 2 sets of headers.

I have the xe 274 cam in the 440 in my Duster (in the engine when I bought the car). Also came with stock 452 heads and 8.0-1 compression with an Edelbrock performer intake,Edelbrock 750 carb, and tri-y headers. Ran ok. Not fast by any means. Switched to cnc ported 440 source heads,performer rpm intake and Holley 750 hp.Night and day difference in power. Even with the 2" TTi headers I put on. Too big for this combo and kills low speed torque but in anticipation of a bigger engine later. I wish I had run it with the smaller tri-y headers.Would have had a lot more bottom end/midrange I'm sure. My engine would like 2 more points of compression as well.

With the performer intake 3.23 gear would be fine. With the street dominator intake 3.55's may be the better choice. I have 3.55's in mine and am happy with them.I do plan for much more power down the road and 3.55 is a good street gear IMO.

The 1 3/4 Tti long tubes would better the tri-y everywhere if the extra $$$ doesn't break the bank. It would be fun to see the difference with them on my weak need smog motor but I am not buying 2 sets of headers.
Power steering is the main reason for the plan to use the tri ys, I thought about using a borgeson power steering box and tti headers but not sure it would be worth the money.

Motorhome 440, found a set of new standard sealed power pistons and rings locally, honed it and away I went

Heads are 5090 e street heads that are 75CC, i don't remember the piston part number but cal'c the compression at the time around 10:75 ish

Eddie dual plane (mopar branded version)

Bought a comp 21-228-4 (not sure what grind number is) and a set of Johnson cam saver lifters

Cam specs are 241/247 duration, .545 lift split and 110 LSA

Has a fantastic lope, tons of power everywhere even off idle

I am running wayyy to low of gear at 3:91 but i never go on the highway so its a ton of fun

A833 4 speed made it even more fun when I did the swap this past winter

Motorhome 440, found a set of new standard sealed power pistons and rings locally, honed it and away I went

Heads are 5090 e street heads that are 75CC, i don't remember the piston part number but cal'c the compression at the time around 10:75 ish

Eddie dual plane (mopar branded version)

Bought a comp 21-228-4 (not sure what grind number is) and a set of Johnson cam saver lifters

Cam specs are 241/247 duration, .545 lift split and 110 LSA

Has a fantastic lope, tons of power everywhere even off idle

I am running wayyy to low of gear at 3:91 but i never go on the highway so its a ton of fun

A833 4 speed made it even more fun when I did the swap this past winter
Thats great to know thank you, looks like that cam is the xe285 one step up in that series from the xe275 im looking at too. If that cam works good for you the 275 might work good for me since my build is a little more mild.

My reply likely won't follow what you're looking for but......spend the money and go roller. I did a 10;1 470" low deck a few years back with a Comp xs280s SFT. Followed all the break in instructions(not the 1st engine I've done by a long shot) lost a few lobes in 800 miles. It now has a Comp Street solid roller.....pretty much maintenance free and zero issues in many thousand miles. I'll never go back to flat tappet stuff. I'll also add the motor runs a ton bettter......lopey idle but pulls like a mother from idle all the way up!

-
Back