440 compression

-

496 polara

moparts id gch
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So just got the heads off the 440 in my duster and just as I suspected the pistons are cast and .124 in the hole at .030. I was going to swap the 452 heads for my cnc 440 source heads and slide in the comp xe 274 cam I have (came out of the same motor the heads came off of). Seems like about 8.5-1 with the 80cc source heads.I wish it had a little more compression but am still tempted to stab the cam in there and maybe advance it a couple of extra degrees.I still have to get the timing cover off and see what cam is actually in it.I will do that before I decide.
I have done far worse before. Worth it just wait and build a better motor?? Heads are off so it will at least get the better aluminum heads.

Last edited:
Was engine from a motorhome"?What year is it, flat-tops or dished pistons.

Build it. People get SO hung up on thinking they have to have 10:1 before something will run. Stop paying attention to all the magazines, TV shows and forum gurus and build it. Depending on which camshaft it is, I might be in agreement with the extra few degrees, but it'll run and the best part is, it'll run on 87. Look up some of Jim Laroy's (@IQ52's) threads on his low compression builds.

Build it. People get SO hung up on thinking they have to have 10:1 before something will run. Stop paying attention to all the magazines, TV shows and forum gurus and build it. Depending on which camshaft it is, I might be in agreement with the extra few degrees, but it'll run and the best part is, it'll run on 87. Look up some of Jim Laroy's (@IQ52's) threads on his low compression builds.
I have followed his builds and kind of modeled my proposed build off @Challenger340 build on dodgecharger.com. Helps that I already have the parts that he used. Going to see what cam is in it and make a decision.
I know it won't kill but sometimes it is best to get out of my head.

image000000(6).jpg

So just got the heads off the 440 in my duster and just as I suspected the pistons are cast and .124 in the hole at .030. I was going to swap the 452 heads for my cnc 440 source heads and slide in the comp xe 274 cam I have (came out of the same motor the heads came off of). Seems like about 8.5-1 with the 80cc source heads.I wish it had a little more compression but am still tempted to stab the cam in there and maybe advance it a couple of extra degrees.I still have to get the timing cover off and see what cam is actually in it.I will do that before I decide.
I have done far worse before. Worth it just wait and build a better motor?? Heads are off so it will at least get the better aluminum heads.
I would look into the Hughes Whiplash 440 cam. I have one in mine and it worked amazingly well. https://hughesengines.com/Index/pro...V2hpcGxhc2ggTXVzY2xlIENhciBjYW1z&partid=30173

I’d have no reservations about using an XE274 in an 8.5:1 440......... unless it was going back into a motor home.

That thread on the low comp 440 crapping out 500 footpounds of torque and it can run 87? I'd be sold.

And the comedy of my life is it has that cam in it already. Laugh so I don't cry.
Time to degree it and see where it actually is vs where it should be installed.

A good cylinder head test with stock 452's vs 440 source cnc ported heads. I have some 1.6 rockers I may add after as well.

If I remember, the 452s are really good down low. Nothing to sneeze at but if you wanted they have room for port. A 440 is one of those engines that just can help but making power even in its weakest iterations.

Here's a 10:1 700 hp 540 and a almost identical 8.5:1 649 hp 540, the NA dyno comparison of the 700 vs 649 hp is at 4 minutes in. Richard generally finds a cam will still make the gains at same rpms just at a lesser percent with lower cr.

Last edited:
And the comedy of my life is it has that cam in it already. Laugh so I don't cry.
Time to degree it and see where it actually is vs where it should be installed.

A good cylinder head test with stock 452's vs 440 source cnc ported heads. I have some 1.6 rockers I may add after as well.
The 440 Source head will outperform a stock 452 on a 440 by a mile.

Get the Eddie 5090 heads. Same casting as the 440 source, but the only cheap ally head that has 75CC chambers. Would do alot for your compression.

-
Back