440 conversion oil pan problems

-

440nika

Reaction score
Hi, I'm putting a 440 into my 1970 Dart Swinger (A Body). The 440 already had a 669 or 699 (I can't remember) which is the same as a 187 oil pan on it that will work with my steering linkage but where the problem lies is that the guys building the engine for me thinks that the oil capacity is not enough for a high volume pump. They want a bigger pan for more oil. My question is does anyone know whether the 699 pan will be enough or is there any other pan I can get to carry more oil and clear my linkage? Thanks for the help, Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I think you'll be fine with the stock pan. The high-volume pump may be overkill too. Otherwise you can check out Milodon pans.

70Duster440 said:
Personally, I think you'll be fine with the stock pan. The high-volume pump may be overkill too. Otherwise you can check out Milodon pans.

I think you should be ok as well.
You could always add extra capasity to you existing pan by adding wings to it. If you go to a deep pad you will kill it on every bump in the road. (been there). If you go after market you need to make sure that the idler notch is still in the pan. If it dosn't have the notch it will kill your turning radius.

The high volume pump is probably not necessary. See if your builder can use the stock volume pump and go with the 699 pan.

You'll be fine with the stock pan, just make sure that it has accel and deceleration baffling in it so the oil won't head to the back under a hard launch. I'd also recommend a Milodon windage tray if your builder hasn't allready installed one.

Terry

The 187/699 pans have no baffles as far as I recall. (correct me if thats wrong guys...lol). You should at bare minimum use the MP windage tray, and I would not use the HV pump. Use the HP pump with good clearances. You may have issues with the HV pump, no baffles, and no windage tray.

moper said:
The 187/699 pans have no baffles as far as I recall. (correct me if thats wrong guys...lol). You should at bare minimum use the MP windage tray, and I would not use the HV pump. Use the HP pump with good clearances. You may have issues with the HV pump, no baffles, and no windage tray.

Yea you're right about the lack of baffles. I bought an old pan from a 400 and removed the baffles and welded them into my 187.

Terry

I think the stock pan will be fine, you could add a remote oil filter adapter and make it a dual filter. This would give you about 6-7 quarts with dual filters and the extra lines.
I cooler could be added too, that would give you 2 benifits, more oil and cooling.

Just some thoughts... :thumbup:

I agree with the other guys, you really don't need a high volume pump unless your machine shop is going crazy on the clearances. If you run stock clearances you will fine with the stock pump. Also if you run a high volume with the stock clearances all you will be doing is put the extra oil thru the by-pass valve anyway so it will be wasted motion. I have run stock pumps on all of my drag cars and not one has failed to give me all the oil I will ever need.

Chuck

I have a 187 pan with a baffle, but it`s rare to find. Most people will find a donor pan to cannibalize (for the baffle) as demon seed mentioned. If you can find the 893 pan then you`ve struck pay dirt!

IM000098 (Small).JPG

IM000099 (Small).JPG

Longgone said:
I have a 187 pan with a baffle, but it`s rare to find. Most people will find a donor pan to cannibalize (for the baffle) as demon seed mentioned. If you can find the 893 pan then you`ve struck pay dirt!

Hey guy, is the 187 pan that you have pictured with the baffle for sale and if so how much. Thanks Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never seen that.. Cool. I have a few of those pans, and none ever had a baffle. Not hard to make a baffle tho...

You could also section the pan, and add a piece in to make it deeper.
Both the pan on my 446 and on my 340 were done this way.

Thanks guys for all the input and advise to my problem. I think I'm going to stick with my factory 699 pan and try to find a pan out there that I can cut up for the baffle, if anyone has one laying around please let me know. I can be reached at [email protected]. Thanks Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cut one up? Just grab some sheetmetal, use the above pic, and make one. Should take all of about 1/2 hour.

-
Back