440 Dip Stick length...

-

Button

74 Dart Swinger
Reaction score
I just traded for an 83 Ram Charger, 2WD, with a 440/727 in it from a 1977 motorhome. The motor needs work and I plan to replace the intake/carb, clean and pretty up the motor. The dip stick was missing when I got it and I ordered on though Auto Zone. It's a Spectre piece, part number 5722.
I hope this Big Block forum can help me with what the correct length is for a 440 dip stick. The one I got just doesn't look long enough. The old tube is NOT bolted to anything and doesn't look like it belongs. When I mount the new one, where does it bolt to?

Attachments

• 000_2166.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 420
  • 100_9525.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 379
  • 100_9526.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 370
that dipstick thats on there is for the motorhome which probably had a small hood and the stick needed to be extra long to be able to be reached. The aftermarket sticks are just like the car big block engines sticks and it will mount midway along side the engine and bolt to an engine to motor mount bolt. I hope this makes some sense. I put a spectre stick on my 383 and it worked fine, it was just a tight fit between the headers and the inner fender on a 74 dart.

74fldart,
That is exactly what I was hopeing to hear! I have lots of room between my fender, it's the Hedman headers I am worried about. Once it warms up and we loose some snow I plan to get it installed.

i,d change the oil to verify the full level with 6 qts and a new filter

-
Back