440 distributor noob question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-

BIG-B-Barracuda

Reaction score
Like a true rookie I took apart my distributor to install a new pick up coil and reluctor.
And I went to put it back together and I couldn't figure out how to put it back together.

The vacuum advance arm inside has me confused

On top left you can see the vacuum advance arm just in there crammed

Does anyone have a video link or instructions on how to put it back together ? Help please....:burnout:

On this photo you can see a small circle where I think the vacuum advance arm might go into...?

Can someone take the cap off of they're distributor and post it on here so I can have an idea on how to put mine back together please

I can't tell from that what you have. Is it bent that is did you bend it? You have a service manual?

Also, look at your bottom photo. See the CCW pointing arrow? You want to be sure you get the roll pin in the slot next to that arrow. The other slot is for SB engines which rotate the other direction.

I can't tell from that what you have. Is it bent that is did you bend it? You have a service manual?

Also, look at your bottom photo. See the CCW pointing arrow? You want to be sure you get the roll pin in the slot next to that arrow. The other slot is for SB engines which rotate the other direction.

It's a big block dodge (440) magnum
I can't find anywhere a photo or a mutual explaining how to take apart a distributor or even to put one back together ... If anyone has same distributor I'd appreciate if they take a photo with the cap off just so I can see the inside and the general lay out :cheers:

Oh , and the reluctor is exactly how it was when I first removed it.. With the pin on the side with no notches on the arrows

The pin on your vac adv arm should go in the circled hole.

You have to lift the plates slightly to get it in and may need to remove the screws holding the can on your distributor.

Don't the arrows go different directions?

The pin goes with the arrow direction your reluctor turns. In this case CCW. Looks like it's on the wrong side in your installed picture.

The pin on your vac adv arm should go in the circled hole.

You have to lift the plates slightly to get it in and may need to remove the screws holding the can on your distributor.

:cheers:

You sir are a life saver, that's exactly what I needed to know........ Tha k you

The reluctor is how it was when I first opened it.

The pin was in the arrow without notches on the sides.

And the arrow with no notches was next to the pick up like that

BB counter clock wise. Arrow goi g to the left (no notches)

Small block clockwise arrow going to the right arrows with notches ...

Mine should be correct the pin is on the groove without notches and arrows going counter clock wise which is correct.,

Unless there's something I'm missing here

Yep, I missed the retaining slot at the base. As long as the pin is on the side with the counter clockwise arrow, you're good.

I thought the pin was on the same side as the rotor cut out at top of shaft.

-
Back