440 duster smokes sometimes???

-

Gwywnc

Reaction score
i just bought a duster with a 440 engine. it runs better now than when i got it but i drove it threw the parkway here in NC and as i was going up the mountain i could smell smoke and could see the car smoking behind me. i pulled off and opened the hood and it was smoking on the driver side near the exhaust manifold. i could not tell exactly were the oil is coming from. there was some oil on top of the valve cover. i changed the valve cover gasket. i have not drove it up in the mountains like that again but i did get the car running right or better and was able to open the 4 barrel up for the first time and when i did i smelled smoke and it left a rather long and large smoke trail behind me but cleared up when i got out of the throttle. what could be causing this? im new to dusters and 440s. thanks

Well, if it's not an oil leak and burning off, most likely rings.

Smokes going up hill, rings, smokes going downhill, valve seals.

If it has been sitting for a while, I would drive it for a bit, on the off chance it clears up. Just keep an eye on the oil level.

Got a pcv and or breather cap? Are they functioning. What color was smoke? Blue,white, brownish? Could very well be rings or valve seals. Oil on top of valve cover sounds like breather pressure. That's why I asked about pcv and breather cap. Stock valve covers? Could be carbon burning off once you opened it up and let it breath if smoke was coming out of exhaust and it will appear yellowish brown and has a smell that I can't describe but different than oil or gas. Just trying to pull some more info.

Just so you know, I have had valve covers leak oil and seep right into the exhaust manifold past the gaskets and look exactly like a smoking motor.

The symptoms were a little different (smoked at different times than you described) but just keep that in the back of your mind.

I went out and crawled under it and looked all over the engine and I think it's trans oil. I think I have put to much in it and it slung up into the engine and onto the exhaust manifold. There was a puddle of oil in the bottom of the intake below where the carb sits and it didn't look like engine oil. There was a drop under the car on the trans pan and it looks like the same. I will check the level tomorrow. I was on a hill when I checked it and added a quart. I'm hoping it's just to much in there.

it's great that you have joined the ranks of "big block darts" congratulations! back to your used engine, gaskets shrink when they get old, so replacing them all will most likely end the problems if it's engine oil. replacing valve cover, intake, carb, oil pan and exhaust if there is a ticking sound is always a great idea with a used motor anyway. a new pcv is another good idea.

I was on a hill when I checked it and added a quart. I'm hoping it's just to much in there.

Well that don't work well, lol.

You are checking it warm, running and in neutral, correct? Or maybe not since it was on a hill.

-
Back