440 engine mod help

-

dazedduster

Reaction score
I have a rebuilt stock 78 440 out of a ramcharger in my 73 duster. I am thinking about putting a performer RPM manifold and a comp Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 268/280, Lift .477/.480, Mopar, Big Block, Kit in it. Is anyone running a similar set up and how does it work or is this to much for this motor with the compression it has. I also have a holly 750 to put on it.

Additional info.
full manual 727 trans
8 3/4 373 Detroit no spin
SS springs
.920 torsion bars

Should be a good runner. That's a good cam/intake choice.Was involved with a similar grind,on a 9:1 383. Nice combo.

That's COMP's version of the 375hp 440 magnum cam isn't it? Ought to run pretty well I'd imagine

Good eye,84. The quicker ramps ,help nicely with street ability. Have a soft spot ,for 383's.

Many thanks-can't wait to work on that one in my storage unit--gonna be a little while yet

383's can crank. Seen the Purple Shaft stuff, crank mid 11's in the mid 80's.

Detroit No Spin. Das wut I'm tawkin bowt.

Probably isn't really needed in a Duster with 3.91s, but I bet a little bit of stall would make that thing expensive to keep tires on.

That's COMP's version of the 375hp 440 magnum cam isn't it? Ought to run pretty well I'd imagine

No, that's a bit bigger than the stock 375hp cam. I've got something similar (Mopar cam) in a similar 440, but it's nowhere near ready to go in the car so I cannot comment on how it runs. My pistons are about .180 in the hole...

My combo was similar to yours only I had a MP .484 cam, a single plane M1 and stock unported 906 heads. It ran 12.3 @ 109 mph

-
Back