440 HP manifolds vs. headers

-

Badart

Reaction score
I am sure that this has been done before and I am sorry, but I have located a set of HP manifolds from a cop car with a 440 sitting in a classic car junk yard. How would these fit in an a body and how do they compare flow wise to TTI's or Schumachers? I want to build a good street strip 440. How much are these worth with no cracks?

It really depends on what you found. Casting numbers/year/pics would help a lot.

Didn't realize they were different. I will try and get more info the next time I go there.

At my old job my boss built a 440 for a guy. It had Edelbrock heads and a cam with 238 @ .050. On the dyno it made 538 horse and 540 ft lbs. with headers.
With HP manifolds it made 495 horse and around 500 ft lbs. On a milder engine the difference would be slightly less.

At my old job my boss built a 440 for a guy. It had Edelbrock heads and a cam with 238 @ .050. On the dyno it made 538 horse and 540 ft lbs. with headers.
With HP manifolds it made 495 horse and around 500 ft lbs. On a milder engine the difference would be slightly less.
I had a 69 Valiant that the HPs wouldn't fit. The driver side hit the firewall, too much to hammer it out. The car had the Shumacher mounts, and they should have fit, but didn't.

I had a 69 Valiant that the HPs wouldn't fit. The driver side hit the firewall, too much to hammer it out. The car had the Shumacher mounts, and they should have fit, but didn't.
While copying the DC K-frame exactly, a friend's '69 Dart couldn't fit the HP B-Body manifolds, but another friend could on his '67 Barracuda. When using the Schumacher mounts, your motor position is mostly fixed, but if using the DC copy, there is the ability to move the motor around a bit to allow for production variances, and permit one to fit the HP manifolds in every '67 and later A-Body.

The passenger side can be stock, the driver side used this type of manifold for an A-body. I have a used one in my shed but here is a pic of a clean one. It supposedly dropped the horsepower from 375 to 335 on a stock motor.

69gts_7.jpg

Just picked up a 69 m code cuda and its my first a body resto.Thanks for all the info and I sure would like to get my hands on one of those factory driver side exhaust manifolds and the correct radiator for it,give me shout if you have one to sell , Thrilled to be a new member.Thanks

The Hi-po exhaust that exits behind the #7 stud on the driver side shouldd fit most chassis as they fit my '65 which in all aspects seems smaller dimensionally. Those original A manifolds have a serious pinch point and the C body ones that are similiar exit right into the steering shaft. The Hi-po's were the only ones that I would consider. Those pictured are repopped now by Accurate if you are hard up on a set, about 400 a side I think.

I'm putting a set of B-body manifolds on my 440. They didn't fit so I had to notch them a little to make room for steering shaft clearance.

img0867.jpg

I am sure that this has been done before and I am sorry, but I have located a set of HP manifolds from a cop car with a 440 sitting in a classic car junk yard. How would these fit in an a body and how do they compare flow wise to TTI's or Schumachers? I want to build a good street strip 440. How much are these worth with no cracks?

what year cop car , the later 70's car had manifolds that LOOKED like HP manifolds but were not .

As far as a comparision from a real HP manifold to a set of TTi or even the schumacher header , there isn't one , the headers win hands down .

The passenger side can be stock, the driver side used this type of manifold for an A-body. I have a used one in my shed but here is a pic of a clean one. It supposedly dropped the horsepower from 375 to 335 on a stock motor.

There are 3 different passenger side manifolds , the one in that picture is the 68-69 383 manifold . the passenger side can use the std 67-73 HP maifold but the A body unit is different , is got a longer down tube and it angles in toward the block

-
Back