440 In a 66 Dart GT

-

Ohio Ironhead

Reaction score
We finally got the 440 set in place tonight and got the fenderwell headers to fit. It took a ton of cutting and is going to take alot of welding to get the headers to fit right. The headers are for a 67 up a body.
DSCF5690.jpg

DSCF5689.jpg

DSCF5692.jpg

Looks like a tight fit, where did you get your front engine plate? I'm gettin' ready to stick a 383 in my 66-valiant.. How tight is the tranny?

I didnt have to cut the headers up at all. The front engine plate is the one from mancini for a 67 up a-body. and the tranny is close, i mean real close to the tunnel. I will probably be moving the tunnel up about an inch so we can get a tranny blanket on the car.

I didnt have to cut the headers up at all. The front engine plate is the one from mancini for a 67 up a-body. and the tranny is close, i mean real close to the tunnel. I will probably be moving the tunnel up about an inch so we can get a tranny blanket on the car.

I guess I'll go ahead and raise my tunnel while I'm working on the floor pans, are you using a solid trans mount? What brand headers are those? I'm kinda dreading stuffin' a 383 in my 66, but it'll be worth it.. Any idea what your dart will weigh with the 440??

Dam that looks tight!Your gonna have to move your brake pedal assebly up for clearing the headers.Here,s a pic of mine with a sb and fenderwell hedders.
car pics 66 Dart 194.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 195.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 196.jpg

I went off the top 2 posts with my master cylinder.Good luck.

car pics 66 Dart 194.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 195.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 196.jpg

Looks great cant wait to see a video of you boiling the tires! Love those Darts!

It has a solid tranny mount on it right now but I will be going with a rubber mount. I have the aluminum 2 bolt master cyclinder and was planning on using the top 2 bolts of that are already there and just move the rod up on the pedal. I'm glad you had pics of the master cyclinder with the heat shield. I was getting ready to order the shield and was hoping it was going to fit. The headers are hooker super comp 2".

Seeing that 440 sitting in there is making me wanna get started on my... I'm gettin a mig next week, I'm gonna lay hell on it..

how close is that motor to a stock like location? i assume you bolted up the trans and placed the motor that way? you know with the right valve covers you may not even need to move the master cyl. from the stock location. thats why i ran moroso valve covers. has a cut out like it was made for a 440 in an early A. cleared my master cyl (73-up in stock location) and also cleared the blower motor...

DSCF5689.jpg

Yea the reason we were going to move the master cyclinder is because of the vavle cover. The engine and tranny are sitting in the stock location. The master cyclinder would probably bolt up in stock location with thte vavle covers but you would never get them off to adjust the vavles. I was going to move it up to top bolts and use braided lines that way if I have to take it off I can unbolt it and move it easily out of the way.

How much will the motor realistically move? I see the motor plate, and the solid trans mount...but I am curious if you could put more metal back around the headers?

This looks awesome. Once I finish the mini-tub job, I am on to the motor. I have 2 360's...but I REALLY want to drop one of my Dads 440's into my 64 Dart. I already have the Fender Well Headers, so I am real close...

Great work, please keep the pics coming.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

Im going to go back and dress up the holes once we get everything fitted. I actually had to move the shock location forward about 3/4" to get the 2nd pipe back to fit. I will try to get some pics of the hole once I get them finished without the headers in them. We are getting rid of the solid mount tranny and going to rubber mount. I've heard of two many horror stories of solid mount engine with solid mount tranny breakin tailshafts because there is no give.
DSCF5691.jpg

Yea the reason we were going to move the master cyclinder is because of the vavle cover. The engine and tranny are sitting in the stock location. The master cyclinder would probably bolt up in stock location with thte vavle covers but you would never get them off to adjust the vavles. I was going to move it up to top bolts and use braided lines that way if I have to take it off I can unbolt it and move it easily out of the way.

I hear ya. Used to be able to pull the moroso valve cover off with no problem with the master cyl in the stock location. Figured I'd throw it out there for ya before you went moving stuff all over.. Lol

Im going to go back and dress up the holes once we get everything fitted. I actually had to move the shock location forward about 3/4" to get the 2nd pipe back to fit. I will try to get some pics of the hole once I get them finished without the headers in them. We are getting rid of the solid mount tranny and going to rubber mount. I've heard of two many horror stories of solid mount engine with solid mount tranny breakin tailshafts because there is no give.
DSCF5691.jpg

Yes, please, I definitely want to see the pics of the holes once the fab work is done. I understand wanting to switch the trans mount. Do you think you had to move the shock location because the headers are for 67 and up? I have a set of Jardines for an early A, so I am hoping I will not have to move the shocks.

Thanks again for the pics, they help a lot.

OldMoparsRule!

Yea the reason I had to move them was because of the 67 up headers. I lloked all over for an early a set of headers but just couldnt find them. I was close to building a set myself but I cam across this set resonably cheap and figure I could make them work. Next problem I can see is an oil pan. I'm hoping a 7qt center sump pan is going to clear the center link.

-
Back