440 Mini starter question

-

nearpar

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, however, I want to install a Mopar mini starter on my 440 I noticed that one hole on the starter is bigger than the other. It appears that the starter could move in and out because of the bigger hole at one end.

This may be a dumb question, however, I want to install a Mopar mini starter on my 440 I noticed that one hole on the starter is bigger than the other. It appears that the starter could move in and out because of the bigger hole at one end.

If it’s a stock type of application the ring by the starter ring and the nose piece locate the starter.

this ring helps locate the starter

D68B0B8E-BB68-4B81-84D0-63B70907DED1.jpeg

280A20CE-E5DA-4CDB-B4D2-3D13329D1853.jpeg

I think some of those starters have the bigger hole because of the big stud on stock big block stuff.

All it needs is for you to bolt it on and go.

I just installed one yesterday, it's a mini starter from 440 Source. The upper hole was larger, but once the starter was seated to the bellhousing, the starter located itself with the features Pittsburghracer pointed out above.

The one issue I did have, was the power stud for the battery cable to attach to, made contact with the engine block. I was able to cut about 1/4" off the top and still had enough length for the cable and nut to fully seat, eliminating the interference.

20230609_160438.jpg

Last edited:
That relocates the attachment point, but doesn't do anything for the existing stud interference. I would have had to cut the stud shorter either way, so after I cut it I just attached the cable to it.

ur 440 should have a bigger stud/bolt for that hole , stock...

it doesn't but fiting that and the cover would have probably involved some cutting down any way..i have one with that kit and the stud on mine is shorter already...but its always been like that

-
Back