440 motor

-

highflyer

Reaction score
i want to pick a 440 motor for future use ..im looking but cant or dont know which big blocks to look at..i keep seeing 440s but they are mostly motor home motors.iv read to stay away from this type of 440..can anyone knowledgeable on the 440 motors enlighten me a little on this..would be appreciated..thanks ..j

What are you going to do with it in the future? Run it as is, rebuild, street, race?

If you are just looking for a block to use in a future build, any of them could work, as none of them are consistantly better than others. There is no one "best" or "worst" factory 440 block.

Check out 440 source web site they have alot of good info on the differences in blocks and what to look for when looking for a good block.

I have a 76 block in mine. I was told that the later blocks tend to be better only because there is a rib that runs along the side below the heads that adds a little strength to the block. I have no idea if that's true or not, just was what I was told.
I already had the motor, so it didn't help my decision, just what I ended up with.

There is no one "best" or "worst" factory 440 block.

I tend to go for the post 1974 blocks as they have a larger thrust bearing. But we do machine the older blocks/#3cap so we can use the larger thrust bearing. Plus the older blocks have larger cooling ports in the blocks, but we are splitting hairs here. Thats about it. Like 52 said, they are all just about the same from the factory.

When you're looking at core engines to rebuild, I would also take a look at the ID pad. When the factory screwed up machining them they salvaged what they could and marked the blocks accordingly.

See the attached file for markings to look for. I tore a core down recently and found oversized factory pistons in it. Sure enough, there was a "A" stamped in the pad. Between that and the wear it would have taken a .060" overbore to clean it up. I went and got another one. It had a Maltese Cross and an X stamped on the pad. Not a huge deal - could have used it with the appropriate bearings but if a journal was trashed it might not have been saved. In any case I had another crank to use. I'd look for a core that is still "standard". I would stay away from one with a Diamond stamped. You cannot buy oversize tappets which means you spend big dollars re-bushing the lifter bores.

Attachments

• Engine markings.pdf
    32 KB · Views: 102
-
Back