440 or 400???

-

fstbackfish

SS/AA
Reaction score
Well i have an opportunity to buy either a running 440 or a 400 shory block for the b-cuda.I've heard alot of things about a big stroker engine you can build from a 400.And i've heard that it is quite a job to try and stuff either engine between the fenders of a 2nd gen barracuda which is what i'm trying to do.So my question for you guys is this.................

1. which motor makes the most affordable power to build.

2.Which one will be easiest to put in the cuda WITHOUT cutting the fenders.

3. which motor is my best overall bet???

i plan on using the schumacher conversion kit seeing how the cuda was originally a 318 car.As well as the tri-y headers they offer.Any help is greatly appreciated seeing as i've only messed with small block stuff to this point.Thanks for all the help.-Josh

The 400 will fit a little better but the TTI under chassis headers are made for the taller hieght of the 440 so they may not fit right with the low deck.

The 400 is easier to install and is slightly smaller than a 440.Your car came with a 440 from the factory and does not need fenders cut to install a 440 or headers installed,some one is giving you a line of B/S.I would buy both motors and build a 451 stroker motor.Use the 440 crank and rods and the kieth black stroker pistons.Weather you go with the 440 or 400,I bet you will come out to the same price within a few hundred dollars.The 451 we have in my bodys challenger is crazy,with the six pack and good cam and gears and a bit of convertor,niece tire frying combo.I would build the 400 motor with the 440 crank and rods.and what ever was left over,I would sell or keep for a nother project?mrmoaprtech

Both will work fine. We have the low deck 400 in my boys Dart with 2" CPPA chassis headers and they fit good. Had to make a few minor dings but its had them in there since 1997. The stroker is good for sure but you dont have to stroke it to run good. If it were me it would depend on what else I have to go with it to make the setup easy and cheap. As the stock stroke 400 or stroker 400 or 440 will work good in your car. My boys is a stock stroke 400 thats .030 over (406) and it runs mid 11's all day long. And its no race car at all just a true drive anywhere street car. So you can run easy 11's with the stock stroke 400 or shoot for 10's with the bigger setup. If you want the most power go for a good set of headers like TTI that will fit without any cutting. Ron

Go with the 400. I have a 383 in my duster which is the same engine bay. The 400 gives you about an inch on each side of more room. The schumacher headers install like a dream from on top. The only thing is the starter. You can't use a late (73-up) starter because it is a little longer and will hit the header. I used the newer smaller light one. So much easier to install. you can't use the stud for the starter mount, you must use two bolts, but its that way for either starter. good luck

don

Thanks for all the info/advice guys.It sounds like the 400 stroker might be my best bet.I actualy just got off the phone with a friend who has a 70's motor home with a running 400 in it he'll sell to me for $300.That's $700 less than the 440!!!Now as far as suspension/brakes go,Do you think it would be a good idea to update them from stock/drum???Or would they be able to do the job???-Josh

im sure the brakes could stop it with the new power but it will stop pretty lousy. I wouldnt cut corners on the brakes, just put some discs on. You could use the money you saved from not getting that 440 to upgrade the brakes, and have some left too. I have Wilwood discs up front but it might be cheaper to go get discs from the junkyard. Im also going to drop in a 400 big block in my Dart, but not before I stroke it to a 470 or a 500, most likely 500 though, cant pass up on half a liter

All we did on the boys Dart pictured here was put front disc from a 74 Dart. No power just disc. Still has the stock 318 torsion bars and suspension. Been like that since 1997 with no problems. I figured it was a 318 ac car and we removed the ac along with using headers and the aluminum intake I figured it really did not add much weight but maybe 100 lbs or so when going with the 400. Ron

22948023.jpg

Thanks guys.I will try and round up some front disca for the thing soon.On a different not i just got a new suregrip off ebay for my cuda.Does anyone know of a good way to take the gears and suregrip out of the old case to put the new ones in without messing the gaps and stuff up???Was thinkin about switchin that out this weekend but don't know where to start.

-
Back