440 Pushrod measurements

-

Skeeter007

Skeeter007
Reaction score
Just getting ready to order my Smith Brothers pushrods and would like some tips.

Rather than spell it all out and make another thread I’ve added the link below to the build.

Thanks
Slow build 71 Scamp 440

IMG_1358.jpeg

Just getting ready to order my Smith Brothers pushrods and would like some tips.

Rather than spell it all out and make another thread I’ve added the link below to the build.

Thanks
Slow build 71 Scamp 440

View attachment 1716308666

Where is the oil feed hole to the pushrod in that rocker?

Also using fractions and not threads how far down is the adjuster?

I’ll go look up the exact Chrysler measurement.

Mopar Performance book P4876826 page 217 says 9/32 plus .000 minus .050 maximum.

Pushrod length is critical for two reasons.

One is if they are too short or too long the oil coming out of the rocker won’t hit the adjuster and run into the cup.

Pushrod length also affects rocker ratio. The shorter the pushrod (more adjuster exposed) the lower the actual ratio of the rocker.

Where is the oil feed hole to the pushrod in that rocker?

Also using fractions and not threads how far down is the adjuster?

I’ll go look up the exact Chrysler measurement.
I’ll have to look when I get home. The oil feed is a good question. Rocker shaft for sure but then??? Maybe some one has better knowledge on this set up then me.

Link to the setup
Mancini Racing Aluminum Roller Rocker Arm Kit

I’ll have to look when I get home. The oil feed is a good question. Rocker shaft for sure but then??? Maybe some one has better knowledge on this set up then me.

Link to the setup
Mancini Racing Aluminum Roller Rocker Arm Kit

I believe those are Harlan Sharp rockers without needle bearings. That’s a good rocker.

IIRC the oil hole is at the bottom of the threads or just below it so it’s in the Chrysler location and that’s what you want.

FYI Crane many years ago made rockers with the oil hole lower than where Chrysler put it. Crane said they did it because guys were running the pushrods too short and it was easier to move the hole then get Chrysler guys to get pushrod length correct.

I used to plug those holes and put them where they should be.

I actually just got off the phone with H/S and they said I’m on the right track with my specs and measurements. So I’ll measure one more time and call Smith Brothers before I cheap out and by something I’ll regret.

-
Back