440 RB question

-
Cool deal-do you know the condition of the trans or do you plan to go through it anyway?

Skeeter for the budget rear end, check out the 8.8 swap sticky. I have the same deal. 440 for 150 running, 727 with 50miles on rebuild for 375, and 8.8 locker with 3.73's for 200, all for my '67 Valiant. FABO has been a godsend. Now for a cheap RB/A-body exhaust thread and I'd be set. Time to upgrade to Gold membership I think.

Attachments

• 440.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 8.8.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 727.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 221
one thing I noticed back 10-15 yrs ago when I used these later casings 440, for some reason they didn't have the usualy cylinder wear that earlier ones had.. maybe lower miles,, or different in rings, or metal in block.... I always wondered..
I say that is screamin deal, great for a fun car.... if ya want to become boy racer, yea, them build race motor.....
exh cheap for the val???? we wish...

Well I'm not ecstatic with what I found. Lets see.

The not so good.

1: Pulled off the intake and found rust. Surface rust.
2: Pulled valve covers found rust. (452 heads)
3: Pulled heads and found a little water and oil in the chamber.
4: Pulled pan and found surface rust on the counter balances.
5: Cast crank

The good.

1: She rotates
2: No rust on the cylinder walls
3: Lifters came out easy for the most part
4: She's a 440 man!!!!

See photos attached

Time to pull the rods and pistons. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 165
  • photo 4.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 166
  • photo 3.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 163
  • photo 2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 165
  • photo 1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 169
Ehhh, it's only surface rust-You planned on taking it apart and having it cleaned anyway right? ;)

one thing I noticed back 10-15 yrs ago when I used these later casings 440, for some reason they didn't have the usualy cylinder wear that earlier ones had.. maybe lower miles,, or different in rings, or metal in block.... I always wondered..
I say that is screamin deal, great for a fun car.... if ya want to become boy racer, yea, them build race motor.....
exh cheap for the val???? we wish...

I wonder if they started using moly faced rings...?

Yha I'm having it gone over. Bored if needed line honed decked ect.... Here is some more pic's.
It looks like the engine was stored out side in the weather. Water everywhere. Rods are most likely garbage. :banghead: The pistons were shot. Ring rusted into them. But the block looks good :) And I did plan to up the compression with new pistons that sit higher in the hole.
It also looks like a motor home block. Has a figure 8 water jacket. I think I read that somewhere. Maybe wrong.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 169
  • photo 2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 172
  • photo 3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 156
  • photo 4.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 175
The rust alone won't make them bad unless the bearing surfaces are pitted, but unless I'm mistaken the one piston I see clearly looks like there's a piece of the skirt gone... :( booo Otherwise, pistons can be glass beaded and reused if the bore taper is still OK...

Put up a want ad-there may be someone looking to rid themselves of some stock pieces in good condition, if the bores are good enough anyway.

...I just went to Summit to view the selection of slugs for a 440-man oh man, I knew the selection had grown significantly, but there are over a dozen you can choose from...and after looking at the price on KBs, I think I'd rather dump the $150 extra on a set of Probe or Wiseco pistons. Man-makes me want to go out and find a 440...way more piston choices than a 383.

The Pistons I'm not concerned to much on. It's the rods. I would have liked them to be in better shape. I'll take them to the shop hopefully tomorrow along with the block and see what can be saved. Should be fun...... Going to crane it into the back of my Sunfire :blob: Truck is stiill in storage. I wonder what the weight is with everything off other than crank,cam and timing gear. poor car :sad1:

Once I'm all sorted out on the block I'll start my hunt. My goal is about 10.1 Good starting point. I'll need a new thread for sure on the build. Cam/Pistons/Head/Carb 750DP.
I bought a M1 single plain intake already. Aluminum water pump and housing. 187 pan with pickup. Dc BB k-frame. and my Scoops just came in today........ So going to be broke.

No problem on the rods. Run them through the airless shot cabinet and they're ready for new bolts and resizing. Rust means nothing if the bores and lifter bores are in decent shape.

wonder what the weight is with everything off other than crank,cam and timing gear.

Well, the block itself is about 225lbs...

heads, call it 120lbs for the pair, I suppose...

rods/pistons-20lbs?

Crank...gotta be an easy 50lbs...

Ok I kinda went through the whole thread. a BLACK 440? What gives? Just because it was an interceptor? They list in Mopar Orange paint, not black,.....

what year was the block? I didn't notice....Could be the whole answer........any idea whats all useable from its shop trip?

Should be a 78. But....... Going through the colour guide there is no Black offered with the exception of late model engines 80's stuff. Jeep uses black. I'm thinking this engine has a past. Follow the link above this thread is dead. It's countined in the restoration section.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

-
Back