440 rear main seal

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I`m getting ready to set the crank in my 440 and I open the rear main seal package only to find that there`s only two semi- circle seals! The two side strips are not included in the kit. When I talked to the fellow that sold me the gasket set, he said the company (making the kits) stopped putting those side pieces in the kits because they leaked. He told me to fill the sides with Ultrablue silicone and let it go like that. Is this the common practice now?

Yes, I have seen some gaskets sets are not including side seals anymore, but they usually include the sealant to put in the grooves. I only use an oil resistant RTV sealer for this type of application.

Chuck

Thanks 340mopar, my kit didn`t even include the RTV. It makes you wonder if companies are just getting cheap though?

I would think or hope that it was supposed to come with the sealant and it just didn't get put in the kit. Which gasket company is it?

Chuck

I still use the end pcs...of course, I still use rope seals in some engines too...lol. Silicone is for minor surface imperfections. I wouldnt trust it to seal gaps on an aluminum part supported by two small bolts 3" long. Just me tho.

The gasket company is ROL and the kit is quite comprehensive otherwise. I would feel better putting the original strips in and use silicone as a redundant sealer, so later today I`m off to the auto store again.

-
Back