440 Rod Bearing ?

-

Bulldozer

free ice cream sandwiches
Reaction score
ok BB gurus, working on the 440 today , i realized that the new standard 440 rod bearings i just bought are slightly different from the originals. the old set appears to have an oiling hole or oil exit hole not sure which. the new set does not have this hole. is this critical? why would the new set not have this ? do i need to take all these and cut a notch in them ? these new bearings are a perfect fit. anybody else run into this? thanks guys

Attachments

• rod.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 580
  • rod1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 501
The Clevite bearings I installed recently also did not have the oil hole. It was intended to squirt oil towards the opposite cylinder wall. Don't worry about - not required.

The Clevite bearings I installed recently also did not have the oil hole. It was intended to squirt oil towards the opposite cylinder wall. Don't worry about - not required.
excellent , thank you , thats what i needed to hear :D
BTW your duster is badass

i always thought it was to oil the cam lobes.
i had another guy say that those holes shoot oil into the opposite side cylinder walls as well. if i didnt have 4 of them installed already , i would just bolt the rod caps on with the bearings installed and run a drill bit through them. i may do that with the rest.

i had another guy say that those holes shoot oil into the opposite side cylinder walls as well. if i didnt have 4 of them installed already , i would just bolt the rod caps on with the bearings installed and run a drill bit through them. i may do that with the rest.

Won't matter, the oil is going to sling anyway.

...................ever wonder y there is so many failed cam lobes and lifter failures......them grooves r there for a reason........i may be old school by still notching them, buy i have never had even 1 cam fail in 30+ years, no matter what oil i used...........kim........oh ya, the notch is there to oil the cylinders and cam.......

...................ever wonder y there is so many failed cam lobes and lifter failures......them grooves r there for a reason........i may be old school by still notching them, buy i have never had even 1 cam fail in 30+ years, no matter what oil i used...........kim........oh ya, the notch is there to oil the cylinders and cam.......
So it is needed??

oldkimmer is wise. If you think you'll lose sleep over it then add the oiling holes. However, virtually all the bearing manufacturers deemed it unnecessary and stopped doing it years ago. Here is their typical response as to why:

It has been known for some time that the original design of having a squirt hole at the parting line actually does little for lubrication. It actually creates more oil windage within the engine than is needed and does rob some horsepower. Several years ago most companies began removing the notches when new tooling was needed. This followed what the OE manufacturer did.

Do what you think is best but don't presume you'll experience catastrophic failure without the holes.

The holes are not needed - they do more to overload the oil rings than oil the camshaft.

-
Back