440 six pack high idle

-
I see your problem. Disconnect the rear carburetor and it'll idle down. Look at the difference between the angles of the throttle shaft levers. The rear is more forward, meaning the throttle blades are open. Those front and rear levers should be the same when the carburetors are closed. They are not.

I see that now, thanks! Next time I’m out there I’ll disconnect it and see how it runs. Now I wonder why it’s like that?

I see that now, thanks! Next time I’m out there I’ll disconnect it and see how it runs. Now I wonder why it’s like that?

I don't know,but I advised you on page ONE to disconnect the outboard carbs. I mean really 30 seconds....less and you still haven't done it. I don't know why I even keep coming back to some of these threads. I swear.

And I told him how to do it in post 42.

With all the time he saved by not making sure the end carbs were closed he can plan for his transmission rebuild. It will be failing soon since the KD linkage wasn’t connected.

Last edited:
And I tools him how to do it in post 42.

With all the time he saved by not making sure the end carbs were closed he can plan for his transmission rebuild. It will be failing soon since the KD linkage wasn’t connected.

Yeah well.......whoops.

I don't know,but I advised you on page ONE to disconnect the outboard carbs. I mean really 30 seconds....less and you still haven't done it. I don't know why I even keep coming back to some of these threads. I swear.
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by not disconnecting the outboards right away, but as I said in post 29, I had actually forgotten about that suggestion. I'm getting a ton of input, not only from here, but from friends and other sources, so sometimes the water gets muddy. My priorities for the car right now are to simply make it drivable enough to be able to take it around the block while tuning. As I mentioned before in this thread, the car is idling well enough to where I think I can leave it and address more important issues -- like the brakes -- and as I found yesterday, the kickdown linkage. I can drive it with a slightly high idle. I cannot drive it with brakes that don't work or a kickdown linkage disconnected.

I've gotten a lot of good advice from you in the past and hopefully will get some more in the future.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by not disconnecting the outboards right away, but as I said in post 29, I had actually forgotten about that suggestion. I'm getting a ton of input, not only from here, but from friends and other sources, so sometimes the water gets muddy. My priorities for the car right now are to simply make it drivable enough to be able to take it around the block while tuning. As I mentioned before in this thread, the car is idling well enough to where I think I can leave it and address more important issues -- like the brakes -- and as I found yesterday, the kickdown linkage. I can drive it with a slightly high idle. I cannot drive it with brakes that don't work or a kickdown linkage disconnected.

I've gotten a lot of good advice from you in the past and hopefully will get some more in the future.

Chit, my feelins ain't hurt. I couldn't care less if you follow my advice. lol It's your car, not mine. It's a cool one though. Hurt feelins. LMAO

I'm glad you saw the humor in that. I had a hurt feeling once...haven't seen it in years...

It is a cool car and I want to take my time and do things right, and not rush things like I did with the Scamp and end up trashing the motor.

I'm glad you saw the humor in that. I had a hurt feeling once...haven't seen it in years...

It is a cool car and I want to take my time and do things right, and not rush things like I did with the Scamp and end up trashing the motor.

Didn't you get the Scamp motor worked out finally though?

Here's where the '71 bracket locates...........

upload_2021-3-24_9-31-11.png

This bolt & nut needs to go. A spring pulls the kickdown forward. You'll need to get this set up correctly.........

upload_2021-3-24_9-35-15.png

Didn't you get the Scamp motor worked out finally though?
I did! It was a lot of work, but she lights off right away and purrs like a kitten. I was just referring to how I didn’t (but should’ve) go through everything as a pre-flight check, and probably would’ve caught some issues.
Here's where the '71 bracket locates...........

View attachment 1715712991

This bolt & nut needs to go. A spring pulls the kickdown forward. You'll need to get this set up correctly.........

View attachment 1715712994

Thanks, I’ll ditch it. I did find a bracket that’s in the mail, but I think it might be slightly different than that one.

I did! It was a lot of work, but she lights off right away and purrs like a kitten. I was just referring to how I didn’t (but should’ve) go through everything as a pre-flight check, and probably would’ve caught some issues.

Well good. I thought I remember reading you got it sorted out. You put a lot of work into it.

Same setup with a '69-'70 bracket. Uses different KD linkage............
upload_2021-3-24_10-27-59.png

That’s the bracket I ended up buying, haven’t received it yet. I don’t have time at the moment, but I’ll do some searching online to see if I can find the correct linkage.

Thanks! I’ve read it 3 or 4 times over the last couple weeks. Plan on re-reading it many more times in the future...

One thing I took from that whole thread is that you can’t just pick one thing and work around the rest. All of the individual components have to work together for the most efficient results. I don’t have the black springs, but other than that my setup works flawlessly....for now. They are in constant need of tuning tho, but I’m prepared for that!

Makes perfect sense. That's why originally I wanted to start from the bowls and work my way up from there, only because I didn't know the carbs' histories.

Okay folks, here’s where I open it up for all to say, “I told you so!”

While I was able to get the RPMs down by adjusting the timing and linkage, I finally removed the rear outboard to have a look at the throttle plates. The gasket wasn't hanging up at all, but the plates seemed to be hanging open just about .010" or so. Just BARELY enough to be able to see light shining through. I gave a good cleaning with carb cleaner and exercised the shaft quite a few times, also while adding more carb cleaner. The shaft seemed a little gummed up, so my thinking was after a thorough cleaning, a tiny dab of lube where it entered the carb body would help.

I reinstalled the carb and adjusted the linkage and got the engine up to operating temperature, then took it for a test drive around the neighborhood. Idled nicely driving around 15-20 MPH, no big pulls on the throttle though. Upon pulling it into the driveway and placing it in park, no high idle! This was where it was the worst, and it passed the test. Shut the engine off, and NO DIESELING!!

So, while there still may be some small issues to work around, I appreciate the help solving this one.

Sounds like you are on the right track, those outboard butterflies should move fairly effortlessly and close easily and quickly. I truly believe that the idol is the most finicky part of a six pack / six shooter so if you have that dialed in you're on your well on your way.

-
Back