440 Small Block Crate?

-

Dead End Kid

Reaction score
Well, this months Hot Rod showed up in the mail yesterday and there was a short article on the 440 small block crate motor. I don't put a lot of faith in these sorts of magazine "info-mercials" so I'm interested in any input from this group who would have any knowledge of this product offering. Glancing at the article it seems that some of the issues of making a small block this big have been addressed. Also, the heads seem to be an interesting piece, though not a whole lot of info on them.

Don't know much about them, but I saw one in person at the atlanta motor speedway this summer.

I had to do a double take because I thought someone was joking around and put the 440 pie plate on a small block so I asked about it and the guy gave me a pamphlet.

Looks like a cool motor, but the crates from M/P have had a bad reputation in the past.

I still haven't heard of anyone running the rod and custom machine small block hemis either.

Looks like a pro build is the best way to go, but I'm sure someone will tell you to buy one and let us know how it works out. LOL.

There are people all ready building 476 small blocks (estimated at 750-800 hp @ 7000 & 660-690 ft-lb @ 5600) but as far as the 440 from MP, I contacted a few sources months ago to get additional information (incl. pricing). They were not available then and are probably still not. The official pricing wasn't out yet but heard probably in the $13K-$15K range.

-
Back