440 source ductile adjustable rocker arms.

-
Reaction score
Hello and Thanks for any input,

I purchased this 383 with my 67 dart.
IMG_0743.JPG

Unfortunately, I did not get very much info about it.
The builder/seller did mention the bottom end had been refreshed.
The 906 heads gone through and that it had a mild rv type solid lifter cam.
don't know what kind of compression it has and have no idea
how to determine this. He also stated that it had no valvetrain
installed because he wanted to keep cylinders closed to atmosphere
due to not knowing when he was going to use it.

After removing valley pan, I discovered the lifters and pushrods and here is
my biggest dilemma what rocker set-up to use? After asking him what he recommended
he mentioned Harland Sharps @ $1000 a crack.

This is my first build and am new to this expensive hobby that I thoroughly enjoy.
I have been looking for old school isky or crane adjustables but a local
suggested these 440 source ductile rockers. Ductile Iron Adjustable Rocker Set - 1.5 Ratio

Has anyone used these? Are they Chinese junk? Are they not right for my application?
Should I pony up with the Harland Sharps?
Or how about these from Mancini? Mancini Racing Aluminum Roller Rocker Arms
These seem to be made by Harland Sharps.

There will be an A-833 behind the Big Block and 8 3/4 with 3.91 sure grip to the tires.
Probably no track but some serious street driving.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and Thank You,

Derek
20231113_191617.jpg
20240102_123841.jpg
20240529_152300.jpg

They are chinese. Whether or not they are junk, i dont know. If I had a mild solid cam, I'd try em. They are the only new ductiles I know of.
Ebay or speedmaster aluminum rollers are probably findable for less than the 440 source ductile. I think I'd rather have the ductiles.
The mancini's are a good option in my opinion, because they dont have roller bearings on the shaft. Fewer parts to go wrong.

Pretty much everything from 440 source is overseas, no? Lots of people have run their stuff with no issues. I'd try those in a minute if I had a big block.

Generally 440 Source sells pretty good stuff... And as a rule ductile iron rockers are pretty bullet proof... I'd prefer an old set of Iskys but they are getting hard to find & you won't find them for less than $300 like those 440 Source rockers...

I'd try them..

I have a really nice set of Isky rockers complete with the hold downs and springs/shafts
ready to install.
But I need to get $450.00 for them.
The Isky rockers are the best Iron rockers every made but very hard to find in this condition
anymore!

I have had nothing but trouble with the 440 source rockers and the owner Brandon would not warrantee
then even though three grenaded in the first several minutes. I had purchase them several months
before I finished the engine and he said that was too long to warrantee anything. I like to have everything
in the shop before I assemble the engine for best use of my shop time. I had several adjusters break and even one come
completely out the top of the rockers. I had very light spring pressure and a mild hydraulic camshaft and we
have been building Mopars in our shop since we early 60's = the installation was done properly.

Also when I checked the remaining rockers after the failure, the ratios varied way more from rocker to rocker
than I had ever seen before..

Do try to find some Isky rockers from someone if you can find them, That would be my recommendation!

My 68 383 4 speed GTS was the most fun car I’ve ever driven or been in. You’ll love it.

Regarding the 440 Source rockers, I’ve got nothing. They have been a wonderful contributor to our hobby, and they have made it better. That said, I would view any new, unproven, low cost product with some skepticism, no matter who is offering it. In the case of rocker arms, maybe consider a lower cost product that has been time tested.

Good luck.

I've used the Mancini aluminum rockers on both a small block and big block for years and have never had a problem.

20231005_161338.jpg

20231005_161329.jpg

I have a really nice set of Isky rockers complete with the hold downs and springs/shafts
ready to install.
The Isky rockers are the best Iron rockers every made but very hard to find in this condition
anymore!

I have had nothing but trouble with the 440 source rockers and the owner Brandon would not warrantee
then even though three grenaded in the first several minutes. I had purchase them several months
before I finished the engine and he said that was too long to warrantee anything. I like to have everything
in the shop before I assemble the engine for best use of my shop time. I had several adjusters break and even one come
completely out the top of the rockers. I had very light spring pressure and a mild hydraulic camshaft and we
have been building Mopars in our shop since we early 60's = the installation was done properly.

Also when I checked the remaining rockers after the failure, the ratios varied way more from rocker to rocker

Do try to find some Isky rockers from someone if you can find them, That would be my recommendation!
I had the same trouble with 440 source rockers on a 505 stroker. They gave me new adjuster bolts, but they broke. I run isky rockers.

ready to install.
anymore!

Which 440 source rockers did you have trouble with? They have a few different types.

Rocker Arms-store.440source.com

I'd run those Mancini branded Harland-Sharp rockers all week long and twice on Sunday. But the 1st thing I would do is figure out that camshaft, either by finding some numbers on it, or getting a degree wheel and dial indicator and measuring it yourself. Chances are the pushrods you have, are not going to be the correct length. S/F....Ken M

I just noticed-

Do "mild, RV" and "solid lifter cam" go together?

Does the OP have the actual specs?

ready to install.
anymore!

John make sure you are talking about their new rockers so this doesn’t go off the rail. He’s asking about the new ductile iron rockers that recently came out.

I just noticed-

Do "mild, RV" and "solid lifter cam" go together?

Does the OP have the actual specs?
I agree with the confusion about mild rv cam (typically a hydraulic set up) and solid lifter cam.
I, being a rookie in this game purchased stamped rockers/shafts/hold downs before I discovered
the solid lifters and cupped push rods in the valley pan, Duhh!
Now I have valvetrain for my next one!
After that discovery I contacted the original owner, he mentioned that it was a solid lifter cam and that I needed adjustables.
Then a few weeks later I tried to contact him again with no luck.
I agree with Echo Mike Six about identifying the cam.
Thought about placing a lifter in a few bores and measure lift with an indicator.
Will that give an idea on lift?
Where would I find numbers?
Would the cam have to come out?

I am also concerned about the old break-in lube on cam.
It is dried and funky.
I bought the engine over 3 years ago and have done nothing
but shot a little oil in cylinders and gave it a revolution or two.
I hope that wasn't a mistake?

Thanks Derek

You need to call Mike at B3 racing engines and talk to him.

If the chicom copies 440 Source is selling are copied correctly you have a FAR better chance of the geometry being damn close or right on.

If you buy ANY OTHER ROCKER ARM WITH A ROLLER TIP the geometry will most likely be wrong.

So to save yourself all the nightmares of trying to fix something AFTER you buy the parts call Mike first and let him help you.

I haven’t talked to Mike in a while but I’m betting if he hasn’t used a 440 Source rocker he knows about them.

He’s your very best resource. I’d use it.

I’d snap up that rocker arm assembly GTX John has before he changes his mind. His rep is beyond and that is a killer price for hard to find parts these days.

I’d snap up that rocker arm assembly GTX John has before he changes his mind. His rep is beyond and that is a killer price for hard to find parts these days.
I will not change my mind as the money goes towards my copay on Cataract surgery next
week.

new ductile iron rockers that recently came out.
I'd have no problem trying them out, I've used PRW stainless roller rockers with zero problems on multiple engines.
I'm more worried about the shafts on any rocker system.

f the chicom copies 440 Source is selling are copied correctly you have a FAR better chance of the geometry being damn close or right on.
I can't think of the last time I worried about geometry on a ductile iron or paddle rocker.

It’s funny how some of our thinking has changed over the years. Years ago I’ve gone from 12.20’s to 8.42@160mph without giving rocker geometry a second thought. Now I wouldn’t put together a 13 second engine without checking it.

13 sec is a big block using paddle rockers. lol I can't think of one reason to correct geometry on a paddle rocker, is it even possible.:D

Honestly it would be harder for me to build a 13 second engine then it would an 11 second one. Lol. I’d probably have to break out the books.

-
Back