440 specs and recommendations

-

Blackhatguy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 440 engine that was originally installed in a 1975 D200 pickup. I know practically nothing about the Big Blocks, and was looking for any specs and recommendations for hopping it up. I do have a lead on some rebuilt 516 heads that already have light Port work done, hardened seats and 2.1 and 1.8 valves. What kind of compression y'all think I would be running if I put those heads on a 440 with the stock bottom end?

You might gain half a point... maybe. Those truck pistons are way down in the hole. You will go from very low compression ratio to just a regular low compression ratio, but it might run better if your old heads are tired and leaky. If you want to get up to 9 to one or whatever you will need to change the pistons.

If installing it into a car, you need to change the oil pan, pickup tube, and dipstick to car ones.
Same for the exhaust manifolds and motor mounts............

Last edited:
Install the "516" heads with steel-shim (.018" thick MrGasket or MoPar) head gaskets, use a cam with less than 230* duration at .050", 108-110*LSA and it will be a torque monster. Dual plane aluminum intake (CH4B, Action Weiand, RPM Eddy, etc.) and 1 3/4" headers will be a power-boosting bonus.

For reference, we did a junkyard re-ring and bearing job on a '75 Imperial 440 (same abysmally low compression pistons) and used some fresh (stock 2.08/1.74 unported) "906" open-chamber heads and a "Street Hemi" 280*/.474"/110*LSA camshaft, Hedman street headers and a RPM intake with a 750 Edelbrock AFB. Ran 8.20's at 86mph in the 1/8mi in a '67 Coronet with 3.91 gears and a stock 11" torque converter from a 318/727 pickup. Quickest shift points were 5600, no slower at 5400, slowed at 5800 and 5200, so I figure a pretty flat power curve where the motor would live forever.

I've heard lunatics voodoo cams are pretty good for these low compression motors but their website lists a minimum of 10.5:1?

I've heard lunatics voodoo cams are pretty good for these low compression motors but their website lists a minimum of 10.5:1?

Stay small and you'll be OK with a VooDoo. They figure everything on a 350 Chevy, but a MoPar wedge, 455 Buick or Olds is a whole different story in terms of compression requirements. Same with torque converter stall ratings, most cam manufacturers say you need far too much converter for a 440 based on SBC requirements for the same duration camshaft.

Lunati Voodoo Camshafts 10230703

Last edited:
Since it's out of the vehicle, and I'm going to freshen it up anyway, anybody have luck finding a rebuild kit with some pistons a little closer to the deck? I don't want to get too crazy on chasing horsepower or anything, but I did find out that it has the purple cam installed already. Everything else appears to be stock.

Since it's out of the vehicle, and I'm going to freshen it up anyway, anybody have luck finding a rebuild kit with some pistons a little closer to the deck? I don't want to get too crazy on chasing horsepower or anything, but I did find out that it has the purple cam installed already. Everything else appears to be stock.

TRW/Speed Pro L2355F "Six-Pack" forged replacement pistons used to be my budget choice, but lately I have been using the ICON (KB/Silvolite) IC9953 forged piston, which has nicer (more accommodating) valve reliefs for basically the same price. The KB actually rides a tad closer to the deck, but the valve reliefs kinda make the compression the same (volume).

ICON FHR Piston - Chry 440, Rod 6.768, Flat Top 5.6cc 2V [IC9953] - $595.94 : United Engine & Machine Co. Incorporated, Performance Pistons

^^ That ICON is a much more modern forging than the old TRW's. If you want to use 1/16" ring package, consider the IC 968, which should be $50-100 more.

Jeg's seems to have best retail pricing on these. S/F....Ken M

Those old 2355s are about the heaviest piston there is for the 440, but they are very very sturdy and the engines run great with them. I built a budget motor with a used set that fit a block I had, a cast crank and some stock 452 heads. From idle to about 4500 that thing is a beast. I think someone gave me the pistons

Those old 2355s are about the heaviest piston there is for the 440, but they are very very sturdy and the engines run great with them. I built a budget motor with a used set that fit a block I had, a cast crank and some stock 452 heads. From idle to about 4500 that thing is a beast. I think someone gave me the pistons

I understand that when TRW created the piston, they made it and the (also HEAVY) pin equal the weight of a stock HP piston, so no rebalancing due to lighter forgings/pins. I have a pretty stout 440 with the 2355's that makes my 5300lb (with me aboard, NHRA scales) '76 Gran Fury station wagon run high 12's in the quarter and low 8's in the 1/8mi. Flat hydraulic cam, Crane ductile iron rockers, RPM intake, 950dp, E-body shorty Hedmans and a 3000 stall 11" converter (flashes 3500+ with all that weight!). More fun than a ProMod, shifting on the column!!

Stay small and you'll be OK with a VooDoo. They figure everything on a 350 Chevy, but a MoPar wedge, 455 Buick or Olds is a whole different story in terms of compression requirements. Same with torque converter stall ratings, most cam manufacturers say you need far too much converter for a 440 based on SBC requirements for the same duration camshaft.

Lunati Voodoo Camshafts 10230703
Thanks, I had figured the compression requirement me be tied to piston and valve clearance but then I realized 10.5:1 was the lowest rating on their site.
That cam is actually fairly cheap.

Thanks, I had figured the compression requirement me be tied to piston and valve clearance but then I realized 10.5:1 was the lowest rating on their site.
That cam is actually fairly cheap.

You can step it up with 10:1 true compression, my wagon has 241/[email protected]",.545" 112*LSA custom Comp Extreme HL in it, with the 2355's but I wish the ICON's had been around when I built it (1990s):

Got the engine torn apart, cylinders look decent with only a slight Ridge at the top. Micrometer says it's about .003 over right now, think I could get away with honing it? Also, these rods are fat, fatter than the ones I seen in the pictures, and heavy. The harmonic balancer says 440 cast crank only. I've been thinking about getting the heads from 440 Source, 80cc, and the RPM intake manifold. Any opinions on those pieces?

-
Back