440 stroker help

-

RideOrange13

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm looking to build a stroker 440. I want to use a 4.25 stroke crank. I have been reading up on 440 source kits also have saw some from eagle and scat. Looking to you source heads and keep pump gas nothing to extreme. Just looking for a street pounder and would like to know peoples thoughts opinions and experiences on stroker kits from various brands?

I built a 540 from 440 source in 08
has been in 2 cars.
presently in a 72 Dart

2-13-08 026.jpg

3-8-08 058.jpg

2-17-08 020.jpg

SAM_4699.JPG

Last edited:
this was back in >>>08 went with different valves, springs, retainers and locks.
of course the heads are ported
when swapping the engine to the Dart, looked at the bearings >> fine put it back together
Did you have to turn the crank when you first got it or anything like or just have it all balanced?

Did you have to turn the crank when you first got it or anything like or just have it all balanced?
I had my local guy balance it, because I made deeper valve reliefs in the pistons.

rods >pin end needed sized to the wrist pins
My thinking on that is. They could be used as pressed pins vs floating pins

mine uses floating pins

Last edited:
I had my local guy balance it, because I made deeper valve reliefs in the pistons.

rods >pin end needed sized to the wrist pins
My thinking on that is. They could be used as pressed pins vs floating pins

mine uses floating pins
Hmm interesting thank you. I hope others share their experiences as well I've heard very positive things about the source stuff and all things just short of horror stories with them.

Hmm interesting thank you. I hope others share their experiences as well I've heard very positive things about the source stuff and all things just short of horror stories with them.
I BOUGHT A 505" STRKER KIT FROM HUGHS ENGINES, RACE BALANCED. NOTHING NEEDED TO BE MACHINED OR CHANGED, ALL FIT GREAT, W/ NO CLEARACING OF THE BLOCK AT ALL. I RUN A MOTOR PLATE, AND DON`T HAVE ANY VIBRATION AT ALL. .620 LFT SOLID ROLLER TOO. (Pay no attention to the caps!)

I BOUGHT A 505" STRKER KIT FROM HUGHS ENGINES, RACE BALANCED. NOTHING NEEDED TO BE MACHINED OR CHANGED, ALL FIT GREAT, W/ NO CLEARACING OF THE BLOCK AT ALL. I RUN A MOTOR PLATE, AND DON`T HAVE ANY VIBRATION AT ALL. .620 LFT SOLID ROLLER TOO. (Pay no attention to the caps!)
Awsome famous Bob I'll check out what they have.

i just built a 505 "4.25 stroke" 440 from 440 source no problems, no vibrations, seems to me to be a very good kit got mine with the lightened crank option as well, thing revs like you wouldnt believe

i just built a 505 "4.25 stroke" 440 from 440 source no problems, no vibrations, seems to me to be a very good kit got mine with the lightened crank option as well, thing revs like you wouldnt believe
Oh can you elaborate more on the lightened crank option? I didnt see that as an option?

Oh cool thank you. Will they rebalance the rest of the kit or is that then up to you?
kit is balanced by 440 source with the lightened crank, same as any other kit no extra charge other than the 150 you paid for the lighter crank option

kit is balanced by 440 source with the lightened crank, same as any other kit no extra charge other than the 150 you paid for the lighter crank option
Alright cool I assume it doesn't significantly effect crank strength correct?

My new engine build which is in progress is a 512ci, 440 based. (4.250" stroke/7.100" rod) with an ultralight crank upgrade.

It features 84cc Laroy Eddy RPM heads and a custom solid roller.

Pump gas and should be around 650hp

My new engine build which is in progress is a 512ci, 440 based. (4.250" stroke/7.100" rod) with an ultralight crank upgrade.

It features 84cc Laroy Eddy RPM heads and a custom solid roller.

Pump gas and should be around 650hp
Whose crank and rods are you running?

Alright cool I assume it doesn't significantly effect crank strength correct?
wouldnt think so as it is cut down only in the counterweights and where the flexplate bolts up, if anything the lighter weight should be easier on surrounding parts as well

wouldnt think so as it is cut down only in the counterweights and where the flexplate bolts up, if anything the lighter weight should be easier on surrounding parts as well
Cool that's what I was hoping for thank you. I'll take that all into consideration.

Just finished a 512 from 440 source. Everything seemed fine. The only thing I would suggest when ordering the kit is making sure you have a handle on your desired compression ratio. The piston selection is limited with the kits and my unknown was making sure the numbers worked out in which it did but was expecting to possibly make my deck height work with the kit. Hot Rod did a station wagon with a kit and it on youtube and will give you an idea of what to expect. I personally think you will test the limits of block long before the rotating assembly will go south on ya' but mileage may vary on that one....

JW

Just finished a 512 from 440 source. Everything seemed fine. The only thing I would suggest when ordering the kit is making sure you have a handle on your desired compression ratio. The piston selection is limited with the kits and my unknown was making sure the numbers worked out in which it did but was expecting to possibly make my deck height work with the kit. Hot Rod did a station wagon with a kit and it on youtube and will give you an idea of what to expect. I personally think you will test the limits of block long before the rotating assembly will go south on ya' but mileage may vary on that one....

JW
I'll look that up thank you. Good advice on the kit as well.

-
Back