440 swap in 66 cuda

-
Anybody that could possibly consider a 440 swap into a 66 Barracuda as any kind of "stock", would have to be a Honda guy. Even chevy fans aren't that lame.
sorry i should've couched that more as: somewhat stock appearing

as in not a motor plate and J bars with no fender wells

If those fenderwell headers were my only option, I would not even consider a 440 swap into an early A. I don't like the looks of them at all. Based on you handle of @mopardude440, I assume you are really into 440s. However, if I wanted a lot of power in an early A that was not a drag only car, I would go with a stroked 340 or 360. You can get 450-500 streetable HP easily and it will be so much easier in almost every aspect. Just saying.

If those fenderwell headers were my only option, I would not even consider a 440 swap into an early A. I don't like the looks of them at all. Based on you handle of @mopardude440, I assume you are really into 440s. However, if I wanted a lot of power in an early A that was not a drag only car, I would go with a stroked 340 or 360. You can get 450-500 streetable HP easily and it will be so much easier in almost every aspect. Just saying.
Exactly. Been there, done that. Options today provide for a stroked 360 (I used one from Blueprint Engines). He will be so much happier with that swap instead of trying to shoehorn in a BB, much less an RB.

me no like power brakes. manual gets my vote everytime.

also, i honestly don't know if there'd be room for a power booster with a 440. mayyyybbbeee a 383/400 low deck, but me thinks that the heater blower motor gets adios'd along with the idea of power brakes with the chonk block taking up all the available real estate.
Me agree

K-Frame is the same for the six and 8 cyl. since those cars nover came with a big block the answer is no, there is not big block k-frame for them.. when i did mine i used c-body engine brackets with custom pieces going from there and bolting to the k-frame.. thise was before swap mounts were out for them. these are the swap mounts for those cars.. '63-66 A-Body Mopar Big Block Kit

exhaust was the biggest expense when i did mine, had custom headers made for it.. to me it was senseless to stick a 440 in th ecar only to run manifolds..

View attachment 1716297492View attachment 1716297494View attachment 1716297495View attachment 1716297493
This is outstanding

Ok thanks ,didn't know if oil pan wud clear with original k frame
Hopefully you have a cutoff wheel, welder and a vision. You can cut the lip off of the back and almost all pans will clear. Just leave a little to weld back together

Ok thanks ,didn't know if oil pan wud clear with original k frame

i used an off the shelf oil pan on mune and it cleared the k-fram well.. you may need to noth for the oil pump/filter. i did not. i mounted my engine a hair higher to clear that stuff.. worked out well.. i also still had heat in the car ( in the posted pics it had a bad heater core so the heater hoses are not in it at the time) using the stock blower motor, manual disc brakes withthe master cyl in the srtock location. the moroso valve covers were the trick.. they were cut perfevt to keep all that stuff..

Hopefully you have a cutoff wheel, welder and a vision. You can cut the lip off of the back and almost all pans will clear. Just leave a little to weld back together
.the early abody k-frame doesn't have that lip..

1725444503109.png

Yea a 340 fits a lot better than 440,I just have a 440 lying around and wanted to use it's my first project I only have so much to work with seems easier to find parts for a 440,it's more for personal use not drag and if I'm not mistaken the big blocks have a deeper natural sound which I like

If it's your first project car, I'd highly recommend sticking with a small block. 360's can be had very cheaply.
Probably shud but I wanted to be a lil different seems like almost all 66 cudas have 360,318,or 273 didn't want a project that's dime a dozen

Probably shud but I wanted to be a lil different seems like almost all 66 cudas have 360,318,or 273 didn't want a project that's dime a dozen

There’s a reason for that. Those early A’s are considerably smaller everywhere.

Unless you have a strut front end or do a TON of work to the entire front end you’ll hate the car and yourself if you put a big block in there.

If it’s a first project, I’d do a small block and then you can see how little room there is in those cars.

There's no dime a dozen Mopars.
Chevy with a small block yes dime a dozen
Mustang coupe with whatever crap they have dime a dozen

Unless you have a strut front end or do a TON of work to the entire front end you’ll hate the car and yourself if you put a big block in there.

If it’s a first project, I’d do a small block and then you can see how little room there is in those cars.
Designed for the slant 6 platform

I'd have to find someone to trade for my 440

Yea a 340 fits a lot better than 440,I just have a 440 lying around and wanted to use it's my first project I only have so much to work with seems easier to find parts for a 440,it's more for personal use not drag and if I'm not mistaken the big blocks have a deeper natural sound which I like

to tell you the truth. the 440 was much easier to work on then the 360 i had in my 64 valiant the first time i built the car.

why is that?? i used a stock style front suspension with 73-up disc and 383 torsion bars and the thing drove great. these days i'd go even larger torsion bars and it would be even better..

-
Back