440 to single plane or not?

-

finnman1

Reaction score
Got a major problem w/ the 440 in my duster. i've got 11in wide tires out back, it will spin them in 3rd gear at 30 mph when you hit it hard. I bought this car a few mths ago and still haven't been able to feel that 1st gear pull. i have to granny it from 1st into second, then in 2nd if i dont ease on it, it will break em' loose. I understand going to a single plane like the m1 will cut bottom end and raise top end a bit. i don't think i'll mind this given my current situation. what do you guys think i'll gain up top? and how much would i be losing down low. heres the specs:
67' 440
915 mildly ported heade
.509 purple cam
750 holley dp
3200k converter
all the related goodies

would i be better off going to a 850 cfm w/ a single plane or keep the lowly 750?

I think the M1/850 combo will work out good with your cam/converter.

What gears do you have ? What intake is on it now ?

right now, i think the gears are at least 5.13s!! that's probably the problem, performer rpm intake

I would find out what gearing is first. 5.13s are way to much for any street car. Stick some 4.10s in it, keep the RPM intake and add the 850 Holley.

actually i think they're 5.54's according to the online calculator. i think i've heard of a 5.5x gear made by someone back in the 80's so it might be true. the gas gauge thinks so!

The only thing that rear set of gears is good for is melting down tires. I'd go with the 3.91 gears and pinion snubber along with the 850 and keep the dual plane. If you're using BF Banana Skins or the equivalent change them for M+T ET street radial stickeys and hang on. That'll make that puppy grunt and dig in.

Terry :burnout:

Like all said. The problem isnt the low speed operation. It's the lack of low speed with the gearing..lol. Swap gears first. I would drop to at least 4.10s, maybe 3.91s. Then see what it does.

it's got super stick IMCA circle track tires on there now. i believe it has a spool... my old man might have a ring and pinion lying around. i imagine changing the gears w/ a spool would be easier than a sure grip right? (1st timer)

A spool, will really cause you problems on the street especially if it is a little wet. I tried it and you touch the gas a little in the corner and your car goes straight and does not turn at all. If you are on a little bit of a loose surface you will have to crawl to make a corner. As long as you are aware of them you might get away with it. On tight corners your tires will squeel even at very low speeds on a hot days. The stickier your tires are the harder it is to make a corner.
I took my spool out for the street and ran a limited slip, not as good but safer.
Your car might not be as fast as you want but it must look good spinning the tires through the gears. :thumbup:

i havent taken the rear apart yet... just acquired the car... i'm assuming it has a spool as yes it does squeal a bit around corners at around 10/15mph. moparmusclemagazine has a tech article on changing gears w/ a suregrip, anybody know of a link for a how to w/ a spool? i'm assuming it cant be that hard, just want to get the clearances and what not correct as it growls a bit now.

-
Back