440 valley pan gaskets ???????

-

440nika

Reaction score
Hi again guys, Hey I just took my intake and valley pan off to be powder coated by "CudaChick" from here at FABO. I noticed when I took my valley pan off I had a very small amount of oil on top the valley pan and a very small puddle right beside the oil sending unit on the back of the motor (72' 440). I'm not sure where it came from but I'm guessing sending unit. When I installed everything originally I used no gaskets on the valley pan just silicone on block and intake sides (top and bottom) of the valley pan. I was told this is the correct way to install this valley pan. My question is: before I reinstall the valley pan does anyone know if I should install a gasket on either the bottom (block side) or top (intake side) of the valley pan or if installing it with the high temp silicone is correct? I just want to cover all my bases before I get my parts back and install them. There was no noticeable leaks when I did it the first time but I do have oil!!!!!!!! Thanks Dave!!!!!!!

Dont use silicone, It will turn to goo from the fuel. I use Copper coat or a product like Edelbrocks gask-a-sinch.

Do I use 1 of these 2 products on both sides of the valley pan when installed? So you are saying that I don't need any gaskets? Thanks Dave

Correct, you dont need the gaskets, just one if those products on each side of the pan.

What do you do if you want to block off the heat risers? Use a new valley pan thats blocked off, or felpro gaskets that are blocked off?

I didnt start the thread.......Just asking the questions.

Yep, valley pan and gaskets that block off the heat riser/transfer ports. Just wondering if the 440 Sources pan has had success and if the gasket way is acceptable, as i have heard they will breakdown over time due to the heat.

Um... the valley pan is typically a one-time use part. They're not really expensive. Migh want to see if Chick can get a new one locally, and send it to you when it's done. I dont use any gaskets either. Just a little Ultra Grey silicone.

I use side gaskets. felpro has thick ones and superformance and 440 source has .015 thin ones. With permatex 99MA "high tack" the red spray in a can. mockup the intake dry & see what your bolt hole alignment is & go from there. OE block deck height/head milling/intake milling/gasket choice thickness can put the height of the bolt holes (& more importantly the head/intake port height interface in a perf app) ANYWHERE. Many have used em bare & even reused em but just me I like a good solid seal for NO vac leaks. I dont think the tin is pliable enough for a good seal but many do and Ma did it out of the gate on thousands of engines with no issues. YMMV

-
Back