440 valve rocker arm shaft questions

-

nearpar

Reaction score
i just finished rebuilding a 440 with a set 906 castings mild porting. The heads were milled about .005 to clean them up. The block was also mildly decked for cleanup as well.

I am using a Hughes .530 .536 lift camshaft hydraulic flat tappet type. Can I use the stock rocker arm assembly? Any advice on push rod size and how to measure for length?

Thank you in advance for any help on this

That much lift on what's probably an aggressive cam is going to murder those rocker arms. Spring pressures? There will be a lot of flex, and a pushrod will eventually poke through the rocker arm. S/F....Ken M

That much lift on what's probably an aggressive cam is going to murder those rocker arms. Spring pressures? There will be a lot of flex, and a pushrod will eventually poke through the rocker arm. S/F....Ken M
Spring pressures are 150 lbs

The Mancini rockers are Harland Sharp bodies without the roller bearings, I've heard nothing but good things about them. They seem the best value for dollar, and you don't need a lot for a flat tappet, but the stock rockers aren't adequate. If you can find the Erson/Crane/Mopar ductile iron rockers, those are perfectly adequate as well. S/F....Ken M

The Mancini rockers are Harland Sharp bodies without the roller bearings, I've heard nothing but good things about them. They seem the best value for dollar, and you don't need a lot for a flat tappet, but the stock rockers aren't adequate. If you can find the Erson/Crane/Mopar ductile iron rockers, those are perfectly adequate as well. S/F.... Thank you Mancini is onacry an hour away from me

The Mancini rockers are Harland Sharp bodies without the roller bearings, I've heard nothing but good things about them. They seem the best value for dollar, and you don't need a lot for a flat tappet, but the stock rockers aren't adequate. If you can find the Erson/Crane/Mopar ductile iron rockers, those are perfectly adequate as well. S/F....Ken M
I may take a ride down to Mancini racing this week since they are only an hour away.

Thank you

Did you buy the correct valve springs for the camshaft that you bought ? Make sure you set your spring heights correctly…. Get the biggest diameter pushrod you can fit properly , with your new adjustable rocker arms you should be good to go !

Yeah you can, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. That's enough sprAng pressure for the pushrods to poke holes through the stock stamped rocker arms.

Did you buy the correct valve springs for the camshaft that you bought ? Make sure you set your spring heights correctly…. Get the biggest diameter pushrod you can fit properly , with your new adjustable rocker arms you should be good to go !
I bought the springs for that specific cam from Huges, thank you

If you need to buy pushrods order them from Smith Brothers. They are available in the stock diameter with a thicker wall.

Gone down this road once myself and spent a bunch of extra money so I say get the valvetrain squared away now. Mancini rockers look like nice pieces. The Hughes rockers are nice as well (running a set in my 440) but more expensive. Pushrods from Smith Brothers. Get an adjustible pushrod to measure the length once you get the rockers.

-
Back