440 vs 360 GO!

-

mellow_utah

Reaction score
I have a 73 scamp with a 360/727 that I suspect has been rebuilt but i think the cam was installed retarded. I am debating pulling the motor (fix oil pan leak) and swap the cam (ill end up needing heads too) vs buying a 440/727 out of a van and doing a big block swap. I love the looks and torque of a big block. Any input on best route? I know the big block weighs more but is it much more?

with aluminum heads the big block will be about the same. $1500+
cheapest way to install is with schumacher mods + schumacher headers

luxury method is hemidenny kit + front disk kit.

you will need to fresh up that big block trans too. what rear is in the van? might be a dana but that will cost some bucks to retrofit for ABody

also 440 is a tad bigger than 383/400 height-wise. so you will want an offset master cylinder and some even put a smaller heater blower motor (some use a rear defroster motor) otherwise you cant get the valve cover off without droppin the heater box

Im not sure what was in the van, the motor is already pulled and the van is gone. I do have power brakes so I assume you are talking about the booster not clearing. Can I just pull the booster and go to manual brakes to create the clearance (the brakes are really touchy anyway). What kind of clearance is there for headers? I have headmans with my 360 now, and I just installed adjustable strut rods, boxed lowers, pst quick steer, 1.03 torsion bars and a big front swaybar so I dont think I want to change that stuff over for now.

Is it worth the money swapping to a big block? I would imagine for a similar price I could stroke the smallblock....anybody with a preferance of one engine over the other and why?

As with everything in life it depends on what you want out of the car. Things are going to be cheeper for the small block but not by a ton. I have multiple block around here and I'm going with a stroked 440 myself. For me I rather run a big cube 440 at 50% of its potential than a strung out small block at 90%. But to each there own. Some people love running their stuff to the max all the time, makes them feel like a race car driver I guess. Me personally rather know the power is there when I need it yet still have fun without going 100% all the time.

In my opinion, you're money ahead sticking with the 360, considering you have it and your already setup. I'm not sure what you want out of the car, but the cost of converting to a BB trans alone will give you some $$$ to tweak on the current combo.

A well set up 360 , will go twelves, with a basic hydraulic cam,mild headwork and a good converter/well set up chassis.It's all in the combination.

Part of my problem is this is my first mopar lol, if you ask me about a big block ford or just about any ford i probably know it lol. The 440 does have a 727 still married to it and my 360/727 is also out of a van so they seem like they are basically the same setup just one a small block and the other a big block. The 440 has all the pulleys, brackets, etc as well so really its mostly the cost of bolting it in and the cost of a build. For now i just want the car to be a nasty little street car, but in the future I would like it to be a street/strip combo. The problem I keep tossing around is I have a big block ford in a torino that I started putting together a few years ago that gets about 5mpg and has to run non ethanal fuel due to the compression. There is not a lot of places near me for that kind of fuel so basically i need an engine that can make good power off of pump gas.

For what it's worth my 69 charger runs 12.8 after I drive it to the track with regular gas. Full exhaust, bfg street tires and a 3.23 posi. Running about 8:1 compresstion with edelbrock heads. Dodges make torqe that's what moves things.

Part of my problem is this is my first mopar lol, if you ask me about a big block ford or just about any ford i probably know it lol. The 440 does have a 727 still married to it and my 360/727 is also out of a van so they seem like they are basically the same setup just one a small block and the other a big block. The 440 has all the pulleys, brackets, etc as well so really its mostly the cost of bolting it in and the cost of a build. For now i just want the car to be a nasty little street car, but in the future I would like it to be a street/strip combo. The problem I keep tossing around is I have a big block ford in a torino that I started putting together a few years ago that gets about 5mpg and has to run non ethanal fuel due to the compression. There is not a lot of places near me for that kind of fuel so basically i need an engine that can make good power off of pump gas.

Mopars are a lot simpler than both FE and Lima Fords, for damn sure. If wanting to ramp it up, wedge all the way. Lots of simple basic B/RB combinations that run hard, on pump gas. A good basic read for Mopar newbies : David Freiburger's " Cheap Thrills" Dart. It's kind of dirtbag, great on basics.

Awesome, I will look that up, it says its from the mid 90s, if im lucky ill still have the issues with the article in my collection in the garage lol. It may be worth building the 440 and buying all the parts while I drive it with the 360. I think its a 75 ish 440, are those ok to build or should i look for an earlier block?

Awesome, I will look that up, it says its from the mid 90s, if im lucky ill still have the issues with the article in my collection in the garage lol. It may be worth building the 440 and buying all the parts while I drive it with the 360. I think its a 75 ish 440, are those ok to build or should i look for an earlier block?

Middle of 1994, IIRC. Block deck heights change year to year, hopefully other experienced RB members ,chime in. Won't be cheap or easy, if that's what you want, go get it.

So far my experience has been that all things horsepower related are spendy lol. I think I would like to shoot for around the 500hp range, seems like that would be easier/cheaper with a big block. With my 460 ford its a stock bottom end, some higher compression heads, cam, and your just about there. A small block in that range would cost a lot more, I would assume that would hold true for mopars as well?

So far my experience has been that all things horsepower related are spendy lol. I think I would like to shoot for around the 500hp range, seems like that would be easier/cheaper with a big block. With my 460 ford its a stock bottom end, some higher compression heads, cam, and your just about there. A small block in that range would cost a lot more, I would assume that would hold true for mopars as well?

Correct. The learning curve of the installation, is the frustration part. FWIW, have a good running 360 Magnum, working on a 383/432 combination myself.

Sounds like you and I have a similar though process. Whats a 432? What are your plans with the 383?

Sounds like you and I have a similar though process. Whats a 432? What are your plans with the 383?

OLD SCHOOL.. A 383 B block( shorter deck block), with a stock 440 crank turned down to fit.( lots of work, a stock 440 build would be easier in the long run.,And cheaper...). Have a machine shop buddy....

Thats sweet, essentially a 383 stroker. What displacement does that give you? With the added costs what are the benifits of that over a 440 (asside from cool factor), more clearance from reduced deck height?

Oh duh i gotcha, displacement is 432 lol. I was thinking the 432 was a trans, like i was saying i had a 360/727

A simple 440 with good iron headwork, a good cam choice, works wonders. IQ52 is in Idaho ( very good engine builder/ head porting man) Had a thread with a low compression 440 hitting near 480 ponies. All basic stuff, it"s lost in the archives. That would be my suggestion, here. Honest, he is....

Nice, I will check that out, my wife has a friend near idaho. Thats a good way to get her onboard lol

You know anything about 440source? they seem to have good prices on stuff, but typically you get what you pay for....

You know anything about 440source? they seem to have good prices on stuff, but typically you get what you pay for....

Decent parts.... A buddy specializes in Mopar, picked up one of their stroker kits. He is old school, screams about anything and everything 9old school race machinist). He liked the whole rotating assembly. ( known hom 27 years, that's a first...) I would have it checked out, myself... A word of advice: Once you commit to a decent machinist, ride it out. Just personal experience.

-
Back