44RH - A500 build question. Reverse Drum snap ring/thrust washer questions.

-

DMC_78

Reaction score
In the middle of building a transmission as the title mentions. The unit has excessive end play and had clearly lived a hard life in the 91 318 truck it came from.

There was no thrust washer under the reverse drum to support snap ring when I took the unit apart. I can clearly see some witness marks on the inner face of the drum where something was rubbing at one point. All the parts drawings I see show an up tab thrust washer then snap ring at this connection.

My problem is the thrust washers in my kit are too thick for the snap ring to install correctly into the groove.

Question is, are there selective snap rings for the reverse drums? Mine is 0.060 thick. I figure I could get a 0.040 snap in there.

Were there units without a thrust washer?

With my new Sonnax OD support I have about 0.030 end play without the thrust washer. My worn stock unit has .040 and still won’t fit the snap ring with the thrust washer.

IMG_6208.jpeg

IMG_6206.jpeg

IMG_6209.jpeg

Where in the Great White North do you live. In my parts book, the only snap ring listed is the forward clutch retainer snap ring and it is .060" thick.

Where in the Great White North do you live. In my parts book, the only snap ring listed is the forward clutch retainer snap ring and it is .060" thick.
Thanks for the information transman! I am in the London Ontario

I was digging around more on some parts websites, and there appears to be different part numbers for the reverse drums. I found D12556A for reverse drum, no washer under the support snap ring, and D12556B for washer under the support snap ring. I am guessing they used both styles, and I might have the D12556A version. Just not sure why I have the witness marks.

I did end up reaching out to some of the converter companies you mentioned to me in another thread. I ended up with an SMR XPL-25 for my build, so thanks for that suggestion.

Thanks for the information transman! I am in the London Ontario

I was digging around more on some parts websites, and there appears to be different part numbers for the reverse drums. I found D12556A for reverse drum, no washer under the support snap ring, and D12556B for washer under the support snap ring. I am guessing they used both styles, and I might have the D12556A version. Just not sure why I have the witness marks.

I did end up reaching out to some of the converter companies you mentioned to me in another thread. I ended up with an SMR XPL-25 for my build, so thanks for that suggestion.
SMR is a good company. I don't know if Pat is still running it or not, but as a supplier, he was great to deal with. Pat knew his stuff. Glad to be of some help.

SMR is a good company. I don't know if Pat is still running it or not, but as a supplier, he was great to deal with. Pat knew his stuff. Glad to be of some help.
Pat helped me with my converter process, so I know he’s still involved. He was a big help.

-
Back