451 Stroker Build

-
Rusty - Agree, at least we know now. And yes, a bit more RPM's than I was looking for, however the cam (Erson Roller) is unique match for this build. It's power is definitely coming in at a lot higher RPM and the motor was still building power up to the point the rocker broke.

I don't think there is a issue with the valve train, harmonics or other item. We are thinking these are knock off T&D's based on some inconsistencies in the build of the rockers the more we look at them. Items such as roller pin not pushed in all the way or no markings - Internet purchase. We bought the second set directly from T&D.

Well good luck with it. It sucks anytime somethin breaks. Hope you get it goin and it stays that way.

:thumrigh:
For comparison we have this, making comparable power at a MUCH lower RPM.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=334265

I just do not get the need to rev one to the moon. Is it for fun?

That was my thoughts as well. Power stays where the motor lives the majority of it's life.
I guess its good you wound her up now and had your failure early on.
That sound did make my pants get a little tight :thumrigh:

Rusty - Agree, at least we know now. And yes, a bit more RPM's than I was looking for, however the cam (Erson Roller) is unique match for this build. It's power is definitely coming in at a lot higher RPM and the motor was still building power up to the point the rocker broke.

I don't think there is a issue with the valve train, harmonics or other item. We are thinking these are knock off T&D's based on some inconsistencies in the build of the rockers the more we look at them. Items such as roller pin not pushed in all the way or no markings - Internet purchase. We bought the second set directly from T&D.

That's not the first time I've heard of potential counterfeits. Description sounds right too (manufacturing issues) & they were bought of Ebay. That would be good (unfortunate for cash, but good in long term with real ones in place) if it was just a poorly made rocker issue.

Ah, well a counterfeit rocker arm could be another explanation. Maybe send a couple of the original rocker arms to T&D and see what they say. I think all "real" T&D rocker arms are engraved with the T&D logo but you would need to double check with them. If you ended up with some cheap knockoffs then all bets are off. They most likely are made from cheap materials and do not have the proper heat treat or finish.

Work has taken me on the road, so "hobbies" have been put on the slow burner for now. Here is what progress we have made:

Building high RPM's is a bit of concern, however we are staying with the parts we have, so no changes. With that said, we spoke advancing the cam a few degrees to lower this. Good in theory.

Next, inspection of the block shows #3 has about a 2" vertical crack - new block is in the process. Yes, he did sonic it when we started, builder is kicking himself right now. This has been a project for about 3 years (Yes years, long story and I am not Tolstoy).

T&D rockers - AndyF, you stated T&D had their logo embossed on the rockers. This concerned me a bit, the new ones do not. I seen some others that did, but not all did. I went to T&D and asked this question, statement I got was ambiguous at best, not all do. Yes, first set turned out to be knock off's, high quality knock-offs, but still.

Now I will am building a a 470 which has been in the works for a few months, I will start a thread on this. I can see why projects and people get very discouraged.

All, thanks for the input, insight.

Charles

-
Back