451 stroker

-

Valiant65blower

Reaction score
Hi! Aim going to build first 400cid stroker engine and here is my parts what i going to use. what do you think? How much i need compression? maybe 10:1 ?

-70 400cid block
440 crankshaft
Kb 215 pistons 0.60 oversize
Eagle rods
452 cylinder heads (home ported) 84cc
Cam COM21-228-4
edelbrock Victory intake
Carpuretor 800-850cfm

Car is Dodge Dart -71 4d

Thanks! -Tero-

................should be a good cam....make sure u have guide to retainer and piston to valve clearance......451s are pretty torquey............kim.......

...............I try to stay just under 10-1 with cast heads for the street.............kim.....

I see they are a step head piston with a .095 dome , you need to pay close attention to the depths of the open part of the chamber across the entire head , they will not be the same chamber to chamber . with good uniform quench you could safely run 9.5 compression on 89 octane , maybe even 87 ?? , once you get to 10.0 or higher , with your 84 cc head , you need to be careful , detonation will kill those pistons .

yes ...i want go fast :D

Then no, I don't see it making 500hp as described.

As John mentions - those pistons are a bear to get set up properly to get any benefit from. Personally (and I've used them) I would not plan to use them unless you have a very high degree of skill with blueprinting... Otherwise they are a waste of money and effort because you have to equalize the chamber depths and then mill the dome to give the rigth piston to head (quench) distance. Quench becomes less affective very quickly as the piston to head distance exceeds .040". So between the chamber cc'ing and grinding you'll be spending a bit of time on getting it right. If you can't do that personally, you're paying shop time for mock up and disassembly to machine, then another mock up to verify it's correct.
If it was me, I'd budget for some ICON forged dished pistons, use factory LY rods with ARP bolts, and invest in a set of Stealth heads for it. Yes, you're spending more, but after those are gone through you will have spent a little more than doing 452s with porting, and they can support more power and have room to grow, are lighter, and can be built in an engine that is powerful and friendlier to pump fuel.
A B wedge 451 is a great engine - but it's easy to spend more when trying to spend less.

i have all ready buy all those parts....so i have to build my engine whit those parts....

If i change those heads later...what do you recommend? Victory? Source?

Neither. With those pistons you're stuck with an open chamber design unless you pull them out and mill the quench dome totally off. If you have the pistons already then mill them flat, deck the block so they are out of the hole .005", and get a set of Stealths.

IMO, and I agree, unless the porting on the heads is VERY good, you won't make 500hp

Similar builds with 9.5-10:1, ootb stealths (with a good VJ) , RPM intake 850-950 carb and an xe275hl made in the 470ish range.

Ok! Thanks all.... lets see how much we get horsepower on that stroker. 1/4 mile i hope its goes 11-12sec....

They're light and they rev well. I think you'll be happy witht he result even tho it's not going to be "500hp". That was why I asked why the figure was important to you :).

-
Back