45th Anniversary of The Wreck of The Edmond Fitzgerald

-

408 swinger

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score

Forty five years ago. The gales of November sure hit NW Iowa today. Wife, for some unknown reason, had an alert on her phone about a service for this. Usually I see this topic posted up. I looked but didn't see anything. If it has, mods can delete or move or whatever.

Been to Whitefish Bay, Lake Superior, White point and all over the Michigan U.P. ... beautiful area. Over 6,000 recorded ship wrecks in the great lakes, and Superior has about half of them. She's a beautiful sight, but she's dangerous.

Last edited:
I was only two when that happened. I SO remember that song being played on our local AM station. Long Saturday car rides with the ol man in the A4 Silver 69 Coronet. Very fond memories.

The weekend before the Big Fitz went down my neighbor conned me into taking a ride to Detroit to buy a boat.

Came home over the Straights of Mackinac and my buddy wanted to put the boat in at St. Ignace and go for a ride. Winds were blowing 30 with 10-15 foot seas...no thanks.

I drove a lot out of the UP to Detroit in the 70's. Lived as a Yooper for nine years. Beautiful area but brutal on the lakes.

Ugh, ship wrecks give me the heebie jeebies. Hairs on my arm stood up reading those lyrics. I spent 6 months on a Helo carrier and we went through some pretty nasty stuff but it was a huge ship so it just rolled and pitched and made some haunting sounds on the bigger rolls. I was on the top bunk and remember holding on from going over the side, and that ship was 40,000 tons 830' long and 130' wide. I looked from our O-10 deck and saw our LSD Anchorage rolling about 30 degrees as it had a flat bottom. We had M60 Tanks in the V-deck popping 10K gripes and sliding around. That was my job for the first 3 months, combat cargo. We had to take watch turns to make sure the cargo and vehicles stayed griped down. Glad that's over with! Wanna go on a cruise? Hell no, I saw The Poseidon Adventure!
>> Scary fact: During a record-breaking trip across the Atlantic, Queen Mary (carrying more than 16,000 troops) was hit by a rogue wave estimated at 90 feet. It was calculated that the ship tipped 52 degrees and would have capsized had it rolled 3 degrees more. That would have sucked! <<

That's a really great song. I had actually forgotten. I usually don't.

Forty five years ago. The gales of November sure hit NW Iowa today. Wife, for some unknown reason, had an alert on her phone about a service for this. Usually I see this topic posted up. I looked but didn't see anything. If it has, mods can delete or move or whatever.

Always a fine tribute to those men.I live along way from the lakes, but when the wind starts howling, we must think of those men, and too many others who went down to the sea in ships. It is one hell of a way to make a living.

-
Back