46 re transmission

-

Ricki01

Reaction score
I’m still hoping to figure this thing out
1997 4x4 5.9 with 46RE transmission
Well I have taken the overdrive back off and taken the valve body off. I air tested it and the bands all work and you can hear the clutches engage also
I took the valve body apart and all check balls were in place. I took spool valves back out and cleaned them all and put it back together. Now I’m sitting here thinking I should just take it back out and start all over again?Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thank all that have commented.

?? You are going to have to tell us what does and does not work

I have a 46re blown apart on the bench as we speak, waiting for parts.

Sorry I thought it was going along with my previous post. It doesn’t have reverse. It goes into 123 just fine pulls ok. Put it into reverse and it acts like it’s going into gear but it slips and will not pull. All new clutches pump and torque converter.

I’m still hoping to figure this thing out
1997 4x4 5.9 with 46RE transmission
Well I have taken the overdrive back off and taken the valve body off. I air tested it and the bands all work and you can hear the clutches engage also
I took the valve body apart and all check balls were in place. I took spool valves back out and cleaned them all and put it back together. Now I’m sitting here thinking I should just take it back out and start all over again?Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thank all that have commented.
Have you been taking pictures during this rebuild?

I asked a few questions in the other thread you never answered.

Since you air tested the trans did you hear a nice thump when you applied air pressure to the front drum? Servo tested, ok? How about overdrive?

In my opinion there are still two possibilities one is a problem with overdrive direct clutches.
If the overdrive is good you will need to disassemble trans and check the front clutch. I have seen the front clutch not put together correctly and cause this problem.
Just my 2 cents.

Since you air tested the trans did you hear a nice thump when you applied air pressure to the front drum? Servo tested, ok? How about overdrive?

In my opinion there are still two possibilities one is a problem with overdrive direct clutches.
If the overdrive is good you will need to disassemble trans and check the front clutch. I have seen the front clutch not put together correctly and cause this problem.
Just my 2 cents.
It’s not a real hard thump. I can hear it work. I will disassemble the front clutch tomorrow. Was just trying to avoid redoing it all again. I replaced all the servos. Doesn’t mean they’re good does it?
Thank you for your help

Reverse is actually the rear band, not the front band... And the front clutch...

The front band is second gear...

Apply air to the port with the arrow... The servo piston should extend, the band should apply, there should be very little air bypassing the seals... BTW since the trans has been full of fluid hold a shield of some sort to deflect any oil that may come out of the triangular passage directly above the apply passage in the photo.... It can get pretty messy... DAMHIK..

thumbnail_IMG_8380.jpg

Previously Ricki01 said he tested the servo for the rear band, and it was ok. The valve body was double checked.
He also said that the indirect clutches / overdrive is good. So, either the front clutch has a problem, or the band is not holding.
Either way it will need to come apart at this point and have everything looked at.
Again, just my 2 cents.

Were the overdrive direct clutches replaced? If so, did the thickness of the clutches and steels match what was replaced? Are there enough clutches and steels installed? If the overdrive direct clutch stack is not correct, the transmission will not go into reverse.

It’s not a real hard thump. I can hear it work. I will disassemble the front clutch tomorrow. Was just trying to avoid redoing it all again. I replaced all the servos. Doesn’t mean they’re good does it?
Thank you for your help

Might want to make sure the springs in the sprags are on the correct side of the rollers.

-
Back