46re rebuild kit

-

65rbdodge

Reaction score
I’m going to rebuild a 46re for a 5.7hemi swap, will be about 450hp in a 3000lb vehicle. It’s just a driver, no racing. I was wondering if I’d be ok with a stock kit from rock auto or should I go with a better kit with the red clutches. Anyone have experience with this?

I would never buy transmission parts from RockAuto (just my opinion) or from Amazon. There is so much Chinese Garbage on the market--you really need to be absolutely certain of what you are getting. Rock (IMO) sells a lot of 2nds and close out stock. I bought Gabiel Air Load Booster shocks from them and the rubber had shelf rot. For some tranny parts like an old old old trans piston or spring is fine. But remember all the work that goes into an overhaul--that you have to do for only a clutch or piston seal and then you're fucked because when you trade off quality for price---you are going to be using your tennis shoes! Thats is exactly why RockAuto and Autozone exists (IMO). Don't do it!

I'm in the middle of a 46re mess right now myself.
Biggest hurdle right now is money for parts

The site in the link below looks to have some quality parts. I didn't see any OD kits listed, so maybe contact them to see if they have those.

I have been buying a few upgrades via eBay, definitely don't click on the first of any given part or you'll get ripped off.
I've gotten a lot of sonnax parts so far. Accumulator, front servo, (didn't see sonnax rear servo so went with superior brand there)
All new Torrington bearings, the throttle valve repair kit, the HD sonnax od spring, new updated HD rear clutch piston, new sprags, and new od piston retainer.
Still need to get new brass thrust washers, all the snap rings, new Belleville spring for the rear clutch, the nylon spacer behind the snap rings (somehow that got melted) plus all the basic rebuild parts.

Go with the best parts you can afford. Getting the cheapest parts can/will lead to trouble. Make sure you get a manual on the transmission, either the ATSG or an ATRA manual. Be very cautious taking the OD section apart. There is a large HD spring compressed under the OD hub that can do you a lot of harm. In the attachment, the OD section is shown apart, and I've circled the spring in question. You might want to check with a company called Whatever It Takes (google them) they are a transmission parts supplier, and you might also want to check and see if there is a Transtar distributor near you. They are a large transmission parts outlet.
I hope this helps.

Attachments

• od section 46re.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 41
I have been buying a few upgrades via eBay, definitely don't click on the first of any given part or you'll get ripped off.
I've gotten a lot of sonnax parts so far. Accumulator, front servo, (didn't see sonnax rear servo so went with superior brand there)
All new Torrington bearings, the throttle valve repair kit, the HD sonnax od spring, new updated HD rear clutch piston, new sprags, and new od piston retainer.
Still need to get new brass thrust washers, all the snap rings, new Belleville spring for the rear clutch, the nylon spacer behind the snap rings (somehow that got melted) plus all the basic rebuild parts.
Check out my post to 65rbdodge/above. For what it's worth, buying off of ebay may not be your best source for parts, JMHO.

Yup I have the tools for the OD unit. I've been in them before.
And while I've bought some parts via eBay, I haven't bought the rebuild kit there, and probably won't.
There is a transtar, (I think) a WIT and another trans parts place within about 20 miles of one another but all are an hour and 1/2 from "here". I've been to the transtar place a couple of times but not in 3-4 years.
A neighbor has a connection at wit, he's bought from them before but this connection does not impress me one bit, I need a 5 pin neutral switch not a 3 pin but keeps insisting that the 5 pin didn't start until 02 and that my converter "has to have had" a balance weight on it because it's a 360 magnum/ but neither is true.
Wants my vin... C'mon this isn't the damn dealer... It's white, 01 Durango, has 300k+ miles, SLT+.... What other useless information will help them realize the exact 46re that I have? When I've used them I've had great service from transtar.
I wish I could remember the name of the 3rd place out that way.... Discovered them via eBay of all places, bought my intermediate shaft -turned into OD spline lineup tool- from them. All I remember off hand is they're out of Bellwood IL.

Last edited:
And while I've bought some parts via eBay, I haven't bought the rebuild kit there, and probably won't.
There is a transtar, (I think) a WIT and another trans parts place within about 20 miles of one another but all are an hour and 1/2 from "here". I've been to the transtar place a couple of times but not in 3-4 years.
A neighbor has a connection at wit, he's bought from them before but this connection does not impress me one bit, I need a 5 pin neutral switch not a 3 pin but keeps insisting that the 5 pin didn't start until 02 and that my converter "has to have had" a balance weight on it because it's a 360 magnum/ but neither is true.
Wants my vin... C'mon this isn't the damn dealer... It's white, 01 Durango, has 300k+ miles, SLT+.... What other useless information will help them realize the exact 46re that I have? When I've used them I've had great service from transtar.
I wish I could remember the name of the 3rd place out that way.... Discovered them via eBay of all places, bought my intermediate shaft -turned into OD spline lineup tool- from them. All I remember off hand is they're out of Bellwood IL.
For 2001 - on 5-prong Rectangular Connector, rod style Sound like it. Their catalog shows part number 12410C and it is listed for 2002 and on. My catalog shows that the 5 prong style was used 2001 and on. If you contacted me when I was in the industry, I'd ask you how many pins, and supply you with the one with whatever pin count you had. JMHO

Last edited:
my existing one leaks fluid thru the sensor body. the inside of the connector was soaked. as was the 8 pin connector that feeds the power/grounds to the solenoids within the case/

You are not thinking of what are they called? Torquflite Patty? or something?

Curious, what does the 5 pin NSS do? Must run dash indicator lamps ??

They call it something else like a "range sensor" rather than "neutral safety switch. That change happened when they went away from the orange needle that is connected to the column with a string and went to more "LED looking" PRNDL indicator on dash. I'm not sure what all else is different between them other than number of terminals and shape of plug. I have read that the hole for the switch is different size and thread than the old 3 pin and there's an adapter sleeve that you can get to convert the 01+ style to the older ones where you could use it with the old 3 pin one (and you'd have to change the "rooster comb" on the valve body too) but there's no way to adapt older trans to newer body.
I've never tried interchanging across these years of transmission, just what I have read on forums.

You are not thinking of what are they called? Torquflite Patty? or something?
No, not him. He's out west somewhere, Washington or Oregon I think.
I'm in Illinois, this one I'm not remembering is out of Bellwood IL. I don't go that way very often, as it's in the shadow of that cluster f**k they call O'Hare airport. Too "busy" for me.
The other 2 mentioned are Addison IL and Downers Grove. None close enough to my location (Kankakee) to frequent very much.

Ok I went back and looked at my eBay history, the one in Bellwood is "total transmissions Chicago" and they sell in eBay as "torqueconverters1". They are the farthest from here, of the 3 places I know of in the Chicago area that sell transmission guts

This place does offer pre rebuilt trans components such as clutch packs ready to drop in according to their eBay listings...

I will have the money for the rest of what I need for the kit and converter this coming week, the Durango has been down since mid October and the trans has been dismantled since about 11/1 ish waiting for me to get the extra money I need to fix it.....next hurdle is to figure out when I can take a 1/2 day off work so I can go to one of those places.

Last edited:
-
Back