46RE Shift Points

-

Tinmannz

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 71' Dart Swinger that has a 01' 5.9/46RE swap in it, and I'm trying to figure out if I have a transmission problem or if the ecu has been monkeyed with. I know that in the past the car was used at the strip on occasion so perhaps it maybe a combination of both.

What I'm experiencing is that the shift points seem to be very high in the powerband. I'm not hammering it, just accelerating normally. It won't shift into 4th unless I either take pressure off of the gas pedal or hammer it, then it shifts abruptly. I'm not expecting a smooth shifting transmission due to its age and mileage (which I assume is high), but I would expect a little better performance.

The other issue is when its cold, it barely gets out of 1st gear. As it warms up it begins to shift normally with the exception of what I described above. I have an idea of what's happening and its going to the shop next week, but I'm hoping that someone here can shed a little light on what I'm dealing with.

Thanks

I am having similar problems with a 46re in a dodge ram. It will not come out if 1st gear and when it does it will shift right back down as soon as you give it some gas. I was playing with it the other day and it redlined at about 40mph and never shifted. I'm following this hopefully I can find some answers too!

I am having similar problems with a 46re in a dodge ram. It will not come out if 1st gear and when it does it will shift right back down as soon as you give it some gas. I was playing with it the other day and it redlined at about 40mph and never shifted. I'm following this hopefully I can find some answers too!
I'm hoping its something as simple as a dirty valve body or bum solenoid, but knowing its past abuse, I'm bracing for the worse.

I'll update the post when I find the answer.

From what I’ve read that sounds like there might be a shift kit in the valve body. They can be set up to shift at higher rpm and the firm shifts are pretty good indication.

From what I’ve read that sounds like there might be a shift kit in the valve body. They can be set up to shift at higher rpm and the firm shifts are pretty good indication.
That certainly makes sense. I hope its a quick and easy fix.

I'm hoping its something as simple as a dirty valve body or bum solenoid, but knowing its past abuse, I'm bracing for the worse.

I'll update the post when I find the answer.
I'm thinking that a issue with the solenoid or something like that. Maybe something in the wiring. I was talking to a "mechanic" the other day and idk If I believe him or not but he said that he has seen them do it when they get too low on gas. Kind of a limp mode or something. My gas light is on. I dont think that is the issue but I guess its worth looking into.

There should be a tv cable from trans to throttle body, if this is adjusted too tightly it can cause a late shift or sensitive kickdown. A missing return spring from the TV lever at the trans can also cause trouble like this. Other possibilities can be the Throttle position sensor out of range or even a leaking governor valve circuit in the valve body or bad governor pressure sensor/solenoid.

There should be a tv cable from trans to throttle body, if this is adjusted too tightly it can cause a late shift or sensitive kickdown. A missing return spring from the TV lever at the trans can also cause trouble like this. Other possibilities can be the Throttle position sensor out of range or even a leaking governor valve circuit in the valve body or bad governor pressure sensor/solenoid.
The governor pressure sensor/solenoid is the one I was gonna start with. The the tv cable sounds like a good place to start tho! Iv never heard of the leaking governor valve circuit. What and where is it?

I would start with the cable and return spring, you can monitor governor pressure with a good scanner so do that before you start replacing parts. The valve and circuit I refer to is in the valve body.

I would start with the cable and return spring, you can monitor governor pressure with a good scanner so do that before you start replacing parts. The valve and circuit I refer to is in the valve body.
Good information. I'm hoping to get it to the shop next week, if not the 1st of the month is the soonest I can get it checked out and report back.

Hopefully its an easy fix. Thanks again for the tips and suggestions.

834227D2-461A-4B09-BD93-7A1DB193855C.jpeg
This is not a symptom of a shift kit.

This is from transgo’s shift kit instructions.
Definitely not saying it has one or is the problem just saying it could have something to do with the way it shifts.

View attachment 1715376232

This is from transgo’s shift kit instructions.
Definitely not saying it has one or is the problem just saying it could have something to do with the way it shifts.
That's something worth looking at when its all apart. I think I'll burn a copy and take it to the shop with me. I'm sure that they can tell if it has a shift kit in or not but a picture says a 1000 words. Thanks for the illustration.

-
Back