472 Hemi crate questions

-

Babyblue66

Cool dude
Reaction score
Do any of you have any experience with the Hemi crate engines? My boss bought one and is going to have it tore down and I'll most likely be checking it over. I have heard some stories of these things needing work, oil leaks, smoking etc.
Also it has a 248 @.050 cam. I think he may have issues running power brakes.
Any real world info on these crate Hemi's would be appreciated.

The only thing that I have seen is a good ides at take one down, check everything and put it back together.

Tell him not to buy the 472 but instead buy the 528. All the 528's are being built by Ray Barton and I have heard a lot of good things about them.....

The newer crates are supposed to be better. I think the price reflects the quality now too. What I've heard (and i typically don't do Hemi work...) is intake fitting/sealing issues, plus the typical slip-shod machining and assembly that comes with the cheap cost. I would inspect everything. Especially the valve job/geometry and the oil clearances. Also verify the ring gaps and honing finish are properly done. Those are all issues I've heard about with them. The 248°.050 cam with the longer stroke should be ok, but it's on the line for negatviely affecting brake performance.

so it seems like what is being said is to buy the crate motor and then tear it apart to make sure it was done right? why not just go to one of the builders and buy a motor that was done right to begin with? http://www.forhemisonly.com/index.html is probably who will build mine, if/when i get that far:toothy10:. might pay a more than a crate, but if you have to tear a crate apart to make sure it is right it will probably be worth it. what if you buy a crate, tear it apart only to find out it needs some additional machine work? or the cam is just not suitable? way to many variables for me......

Well I got the engine done. It was not right the way it was. Needed New valves, valve springs, good valve job. New rockers. Honed and rerung, File fit rings. Crank polished. Decked and thinner head gaskets to up the 8.2 to 1 compression, to 9 to 1. Yes it had 8.2! Checked out and reassembled.

With a 850 Holley vac sec. She made 584 hp and 557 ft lbs this morning on the dyno!!

Mopar performance catalog says 525. I think we picked up a few ponies with the much better machine work and parts.
:cheers:
And the Boss is very happy.

Well I got the engine done. It was not right the way it was. Needed New valves, valve springs, good valve job. New rockers. Honed and rerung, File fit rings. Crank polished. Decked and thinner head gaskets to up the 8.2 to 1 compression, to 9 to 1. Yes it had 8.2! Checked out and reassembled.

With a 850 Holley vac sec. She made 584 hp and 557 ft lbs this morning on the dyno!!

Mopar performance catalog says 525. I think we picked up a few ponies with the much better machine work and parts.
:cheers:
And the Boss is very happy.

All that had to be done on a "new" crate engine?

So much for the word "Crate" engine. I guess they should call it "all the parts are in this crate" engine!

John B.

So it's a 6 year old crate motor, had it been run previously or was it NOS?
I have heard horror stories about the crate motors of that vintage, but wonder about the quality of the more recent ones.

I have heard horror stories about the crate motors of that vintage, but wonder about the quality of the more recent ones.

it had only been run very shortly. I think after being built they did just to make sure it wouldn't blow.

It was still in the crate when he got it.

I have heard the newer ones are built better, I hope so or there are a few unhappy Hemi owners out there.

It'll sure rip the tires off the Challenger its going into now. Probably have a couple thousand bucks into it though.

Pretty sad they sold those things to the public with the Mopar name on them.

I have a 2005 426 crate motor , Mopar farmed out the job to the LOWEST BIDDER and they got what they paid for. Mine is presently apart, already had the heads redone, the rest of it was a mess also .

I got # 42 of the 528 Hemi's. I had to remove the valve covers to install the engine (from the under side) and the valves were just tighten down all the way. I couldn't beleive it. After installing it and getting it to fire the fuel pump push rod disintegrated. a quick call to Mother and I was told to take it to Ray Barton. Barton took care of the problem at no charge to me but I wanted it to be on the dyno, so I paid for that service. 603hp...

-
Back