48 degree heads on 59 degree block.

-

cpearce

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I understand putting 59 degree heads on a 48 degree block isnt a big deal, I cant find much info on the reverse. Can anyone tell me what is involved in putting 48 degree heads on a 59 degree block? Also, if I'm not mistaken the valve angle is 15 degrees rather than 18, what effect will this have. Thanks everyone.

15 vs 18 degree valve angle may make valve-to-piston clearance better or worse. Also, any valve pockets on piston tops may have to be machined at the flatter angle, depending on how close the valve come to the pistons.

Push rod holes need some massaging.
Check piston/valve clearance on going from 18* to 15*

Last edited:
Thanks for responses, I didnt think it would be to crazy to adapt to 59 degree block.

48 degree heads have a 15 degree valve angle so standard small block piston notches may not work depending on cam and valve sizes.

59 degree W2 and all stock replacement heads have 18 degree valve angles.

I believe most is not all 48 degree W2 heads are machined for use with T&D or Jesel rockers. They do not use conventional blocks and shaft type rocker systems.

Yes I am referring to the W2 48 degree head valve angle

48 degree heads have 15 degree valve angles, 59 degree heads have 18 degree valve angles.
Just wondering, do the W2 48 degree heads have a flow advantage over the W2 59 degree heads? Or is there such an animal? LOL. (I'm a big block guy) Trying to learn small blocks. They seem to be more complicated. Thanks

From what I have read......

They both flow the same but! The valve angle (15*) has an advantage on the low lift. *I Think* there is an advantage in flow as the valve rises high.

But as I said, I just don’t remember reading it in the MP books. Perhaps, IDK, it’s a (the) quality of flow? (I’m reaching here.)

I haven’t explored this area myself. I can just say I remember the Chevy guys crying they had 23* angles and hitched they didn’t have the better MoPar valve angle. They would try and use that tonthere advantage in the back street races long ago. I just said, “That’s not my problem and NO you don’t get the leave.”

I dont know the flow differences between the two heads but the 48* block that the heads were designed for stand the lifters up more. This takes a lot of the angle out of the pushrod.

Oh hell yea. Fix up that valve train geometry. Like they should have been from jump street.

-
Back