489 Crush Sleeve?

-

64drtGt

Slant Six Lunatic
Reaction score
I had broke my yoke on my 489 I got one today and the old one slid right off new one slid on i put a new ujoint in it and took it down the road. Now I have a whine when deceling in gear. Do I need a new crush sleeve and if so how do I change it?

How tight did you torque the nut? I believe it should be 240 ft lbs if I remember correctly.

you screwed up. You need to check the turning torque BEFORE you remove the old yoke, and torque the nut until you get back to this setting after you replace the yoke.

you screwed up. You need to check the turning torque BEFORE you remove the old yoke, and torque the nut until you get back to this setting after you replace the yoke.

That might be difficult if the center section is still in the housing, turning axles and all.

I saw when I checked for the spec it said there wasnt a torque spec on a 489 case but there is on the 741 and the 742 did but i may have looked at it wrong. I just snugged it down good i didnt he man it on or leave it loose. I can pull it back apart and put my torque wrench on it tho.

That might be difficult if the center section is still in the housing, turning axles and all.
doing things right aint allways easy..... real easy to take the axles loose, as compared to ruining a gearset

I saw when I checked for the spec it said there wasnt a torque spec on a 489 case but there is on the 741 and the 742 did but i may have looked at it wrong. I just snugged it down good i didnt he man it on or leave it loose. I can pull it back apart and put my torque wrench on it tho.
That's because those cases, 741,742 are set up with shims to set bearing preload. on a 489, you torque the nut, while "crushing" the sleave until the preload is correct.

You could replace the crush sleeve with a solid spacer. They are sold by a lot of places that sells them like Randy's ring & pinion. I like about 20 to 25 in pounds of drag without the seal this way you can ad or remove shims until it's perfect! Your preload is super importent the preload to louse or to tite and it will kill your baerings. If you use the solid spacer you only use a lot less torque 100ft pds instead of 250 to crush the sleeve. Good luck!

It is possible and most likely the whine is because the pin is moving and you don't have it tight enough.

When you removed it you should have counted the turns and out it back the same plus a few degrees.

Now you need to remove and disassemble the entire diff and re-set the pre-load.

You could replace the crush sleeve with a solid spacer. They are sold by a lot of places that sells them like Randy's ring & pinion. I like about 20 to 25 in pounds of drag without the seal this way you can ad or remove shims until it's perfect! Your preload is super importent the preload to louse or to tite and it will kill your baerings. If you use the solid spacer you only use a lot less torque 100ft pds instead of 250 to crush the sleeve. Good luck!

Here's a link to check out:
http://shop.cruiserparts.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11720

Sounds like this is a good time to go ahead and put new bearings in my other geatset and put my 4.10 posi in.

It is possible and most likely the whine is because the pin is moving and you don't have it tight enough.

When you removed it you should have counted the turns and out it back the same plus a few degrees.

Now you need to remove and disassemble the entire diff and re-set the pre-load.

This ^^^^^^^

I am still knocking on wood,i did not replace my sleeve when i change the seal got about 2 thou on the car since the resto.489 323 gear.no noise.

The crush sleeve eliminator kit works great , i have used many of them and the help alot with the pinion walking issues that 489 cases have

There is no pinion walking issues in any 8.75, carrier cap issues and spanner yes, and a solid spacer doesn't help with anything other than removing and installing the end yoke

I'm sorry but I gotta ask,,,How do you break a yoke on a /6 car ?

I'm sorry but I gotta ask,,,How do you break a yoke on a /6 car ?

Its not in my dart its in my truck that has a 318 magnum and a 4 speed I wrapped the springs up and got the yoke in a bind and snapped one of the ears off while blowing the driveshaft out of it at the same time.

False readings, he wouldn't even have the $900.00 torque meter that goes high enough to even read that kind of drag.....

-
Back