4spd id

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a really nice A body 4 SPD. Was curious how to find out exactly what it originally was in? I've looked for a vin plate but not seeing one anywhere

I'm not a "big numbers boy." If the damn thing fits and works and does what I want, then, OK

First thing I'd be asking myself is, "Is this a standard 4 speed," or "is this an OD?"

Easy to find out, even though you don't seem to have the shift levers, which could have been reversed, anyhow. On an OD, the front lever points down, up on a standard 4 speed

Take a wrench, "crescent" if you will, so it fits the shift shaft flats. Get the box into neutral. Now, put the box into what would be 3rd gear for a 4 speed. This is OD on an ........OD......box. To do this, put your wrench on the front shift shaft, and rotate the shaft CW

Now turn the input shaft ONE turn and watch the output

If the output turns LESS than one turn, you are in 3rd gear on a 4 speed

If the output turns MORE than one turn, you are in the OD gear with an OD box.

If the output turns exactly one turn, you effed up, you have the box in "straight through" or 4th on a 4 speed.

You can, of course, also remove the sideplate and look at the gearing

Its a standard 4 SPD. Iron case and 1:1. I'm mainly curious as to the year. I can find no machined boss anywhere

I'm no expert on these. Maybe it's an earlier case and someone has "put this together" from parts

It clearly has no machined boss. Does it have any Chrysler markings anywhere? I bet it's a factory MP case.

lol I bet it is a super stock hemi max wedge ultra rare......ooops wait maybe it is a 66-67 small output, 23 spline input stock 4 speed. VIN numbers were not stamped on parts until 1968 so no machined pad. Good part nothing wrong with smaller 26 spline output just uses a 904 yoke.

lol I bet it is a super stock hemi max wedge ultra rare......ooops wait maybe it is a 66-67 small output, 23 spline input stock 4 speed. VIN numbers were not stamped on parts until 1968 so no machined pad. Good part nothing wrong with smaller 26 spline output just uses a 904 yoke.

Never said anything bout it being rare or any of the above. I was mainly curious due to the lack of the boss. I didn't realize they didn't vin tag trans before 68. So thank you.

I was pickin on rusty lol not you. Check and see but I bet it has a 904 output. good score

I was pickin on rusty lol not you. Check and see but I bet it has a 904 output. good score

Came with a brand new yoke and u joint. Think this will hold up to a street driven 440...

Nobody said it was rare. I said that it might be an MP case. You're also mistaken about the early transmissions not having the machined pad. Some did. They have stamped info regarding the transmission model and year is was made. I had one last year that was a 64 B body transmission. There was no partial VIN, but the year and transmission type was there. The only cases I've seen that didn't have that pad were the MP cases. I don't give a ten ton crap if that makes it rare or not. I was just trying to help him sort out what he has. Maybe you could run it down by the casting number.

Here is some info from Brewers. Maybe it will help.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/orderinfo.htm

Easy...67 down 67-66 Etc year with no boss for Vin# 23 spline. Easy to open up..look inside....slam it home!
Ball and Detent forks for shifting up to the end of 69 I believe.

MP (Mopar Performance) the "factory" sold just the cases at one time out of there catalogue. But I believe the cases were aluminum not iron. Tail shafts as well also Alum.

Just fyi the reverse lever is on backwards, and like others have said it's of 66-67 vintage, it's post ball and trunnion and pre vin pad.

......ooops wait maybe it is a 66-67 small output, 23 spline input stock 4 speed. VIN numbers were not stamped on parts until 1968 so no machined pad. Good part nothing wrong with smaller 26 spline output just uses a 904 yoke.

There you go. At this point, this would be my guess. 440? I'd rather have the larger 30 spline mainshaft, 307 mainshaft bearing and 30 spline extension housing, but no difference than a 67 A body big block trans, other than those 3 things.

Yeah but for the price I paid for this, I can rebuild it a couple times if it breaks for what I'd pay for a big block A body trans

-
Back