4spd..... worth a crap??

-

CornDog

Reaction score
Today I found a project '73 Dart Sport that, supposedly, was originally a 340 4 spd car. The car currently has no motor or trans. He will sell the car for $300. He told me for $100 extra he will throw in a a 4spd that he has. The guy has two small block bellhousings. Neither bellhousing will fit the 4spd. He said the tranny was removed from a older Dodge van. I wish I would have gotten some numbers or pictures of the tranny but it was in the back corner of his storage building and I couldn't really get to it.

So... knowing the info mentioned above, is the van 4spd even worth the extra $100?? Wish I had a little more info. Thanks for any help that you could give me

Justin
"CornDog"

More likely than not the van 4 speed is actually an OD 833. It looks about the same but isn't nearly as heavy duty. They are worth about $100 to someone that can use it but it won't hold up long behind a 340. I'm not sure why the bellhousings he has won't fit, they should if they are small block bellhousings.
The car sounds like a great deal though.

If its the OD833 then the input bearing retainer is bigger then a standard 833. That's probally the reason for not fitting. Unless its the truck style 4 speed. And as far as handling power yes it will. I have had one behind my 360 for 7 years now and no problems. The main difference in design is they keep the 4th gear as 1:1 and that becomes your 3rd. 3rd gear becomes your od .71 or 73:1. This is where the weakness come. Its going through your counter shaft in high and not locked in direct. Check out this link for more info http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

yep the od ones will hold up. JR had one behind a 383 in a little red and it held up just fine.

Hey, get link... I printed the page to keep on hand! Good stuff! I wonder if the tranny was a A-435 4spd from a trunk. That would explain why the small block bell housing didn't fit. According to the website, it says......

"The other four speed was the A-435 which is a huge truck four speed that shifts like a truck, it has a truck non-syncronized "granny low" first gear. The A-435 requires a huge cast iron bell housing and a 143 tooth flywheel. The combo of the bell housing and the A-435 wouldn't fit in an A-body unless you hacked the firewall and the trans tunnel to pieces, and of course the shift knob of a A-435 would probably bang into the rear view mirror on an A-body!"

My biggest concern is, if I don't need it... or can't really use it in the future, then I don't want to fork out the extra dough for something that will be in the way. Here are a couple pictures of the car. I don't think it is the find of a century... but I think it is worth $300 any day of the week. I think it's one of my better "finds" in the last few years. Don't let the interior picture fool you... the tranny is not in the car... the shifter is only held there by the boot.

Justin
"CornDog"

Picture1817.jpg

Picture1831.jpg

Picture1825.jpg

Picture1833.jpg

435 never came in a van. 833OD did. They are popular with the E and B body guys as the tail shaft is too long for the A or F bodies. The bearing retainer is bigger on the OD. You can take the bellhousings to the machine shop and have them open it up for the OD.

There is a way to use the long tailshaft B&E/truck tranny in a A body. Custom drive shaft, and mods for shifter mounting are required.

If you go to www.bigblockdart.com there is an article saved there where someone did it. I printed the whole thing out. I have a pickup tranny in the shed, and an A body one hung in my 72 right now.

Seeing the issue with the tranny, it's a coin flip. Can you use it to trade ? If not, leave it behind. You cn pick up a reguar tans for it later on. You have enuff going on with that car now.

I mostly wanted the car for the hood scoop and the 8 1/4 rearend. The rest is just gravy. The owner told me that the car was originally a 340 4spd... but I think we have all heard that before. The car does have a fender tag on it but I didn't want the owner to see me starring at it and memorizing numbers. People get kinda weird when you do stuff like that. The 73-up a-bodies had the spool type k-frame (like this one). I will have to check again, but I am almost positive that this is definately a V8 k-frame.

Justin
"CornDog"

I mostly wanted the car for the hood scoop and the 8 1/4 rearend. The rest is just gravy. The owner told me that the car was originally a 340 4spd... but I think we have all heard that before. The car does have a fender tag on it but I didn't want the owner to see me starring at it and memorizing numbers. People get kinda weird when you do stuff like that. The 73-up a-bodies had the spool type k-frame (like this one). I will have to check again, but I am almost positive that this is definately a V8 k-frame.

Justin
"CornDog"

If the guy wants to sell, you should be able to scrutinize every corner of the car....

Grab a pencil and a piece of paper and make a tracing of the fender tag, go home and de-code it. And if it's an 8 3/4 rear (not the 8 1/4 you mentioned...) $300 is worth it for the rear end alone. Otherwise, I might pass on it. It looks like a whole lotta work to restore. But if it's a parts car, you make the call. And yes, pass on the trans....

Yes, If you have the money to spare and a place to hide the car it is a good buy. The seats and tracks, hood and rear are worth more than the asking price and you can probably still get 150.00 from the salvage yard.:cheers:

Actually, the bucket seat look to be out of a late 70s Slowmaro or Fireturd. I know some people will hate to hear this, but I think this car will serve as a parts car.... still not sure at this moment. Believe it or not, the fenders, doors, and decklid are very nice, straight, and solid. The driver side front frame rail has rust in it along with the lower quarters and trunk floor. My brother has a '72 Duster and we have been looking for a '73-up rearend (locally) for a few months with no luck. So he will get it. I want the hood and misc other parts. I will probably pass on the 4spd until I am definate what it is. If I decide to get the 4spd then I know where it is... and chances are, it isn't going anywhere.

Thanks for everyone's help... I have really grown to love this site and the info here... and I've only been here less than a month :)

Justin
"CornDog"

-
Back