4th gear whines pretty loud

-

screeminDemon

Reaction score
I just put a new 360 in my 71 Demon and a used 4spd OD. Its running good but has a low whine in 2nd gear and a loud whine in 4th (loud enough to worry me and cause me not to go on the freeway). I didnt make any adjustments to it, just added 90 wt oil and installed it. In fact, I dont know how to adjust the shift rods... Can anybody tell me the best way? and could this be my problem or something else? Thanks for your help!

At best your countershaft bearings are worn, or worse the countershaft has started to eat into the case, either way plan on a rebuild or find another trans. The shift rods being out of adjustment arn't going to cause any type of noise, it will make it hard to find the gears.

thanks for your reply daliant. I had the cover off this tranny and inspected everything I could see inside and it all looked good. So hopefully your best case is right and its jst the bearings. I'm gonna look up countershaft bearings and see how hard it looks to replace. Luckily I can go 60mph in 3rd gear at about 2300rpm, so I'm not tooo handicapped

You say used 4 spd OD. Did you go over it before you installed it? I'll bet the PO said it was working fine, no problems. I swapped from auto to manual and the PO owner of the trans said it "worked fine when pulled". Tore it all apart and took all of the internals to Jamie Passon. Some parts were worn specially 2nd gear. Rebuilt it, installed it, and has been working great for well over 2k miles.

Could the 4th gear whine be your rear end? Just a thought.

thanks for your input pentastar69. The tranny was reportedly used but in good running condition. Apparently that was false. I mean it runs, but its got a pretty loud whining sound in 4th gear (and noticeable in 2nd too). I know its not the rear end because it was quiet with my other engine and manual 3 spd tranny that I just took out. Plus its nice and quiet in 1st or 3rd gear.

I'm not taking that thing out again though, I'm gonna pay a shop to fix it I think

Before you tear down the trans you might try draining out the gear oil and refilling with ATF- my 76 Aspen called out atf . The trans will howl like hell if not getting lube to bearings.

833 actually require GL-4 fluid which is hard to find unless you order it off line.
GL-5 which is what most gear lube is now is not the correct lube for your tranny.

But with noticable gear noise in different gears the most likely culprit is bearings which ar wore out.

-
Back