5.2 & 5.9 tone ring holes vs torque converter clearance?

-

jbc426

Reaction score
Regarding the tone ring holes for 4.2 to 5.9 Magnums, how far away does any metal need to be from behind the hole for it to still to work? My new torque converter was built using a large round plate that the torque converter bolts to.

When test fitting the torque converter, I noticed there's only a small gap , less than ab 1/8", between the rectangular tone ring holes and the new steel torque converter mounting ring. It's just behind the tone ring hole, but there is an air gap(barely the thickness of a paper match). Anyone remember those?

Does anyone know if having metal this close behind the tone ring hole will affect the signal to the ECM? I can always carefully grind or have it milled back a ways trying to keep all the reliefs the same size to not affect the balance.

Attachments

• IMG_3748 (Large).jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3749 (Large) (2).jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3749 (Large).jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3747 (Large).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3751 (Large).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 111
Regarding the tone ring holes for 4.2 to 5.9 Magnums, how far away does any metal need to be from behind the hole for it to still to work? My new torque converter was built using a large round plate that the torque converter bolts to.

When test fitting the torque converter, I noticed there's only a small gap , less than ab 1/8", between the rectangular tone ring holes and the new steel torque converter mounting ring. It's just behind the tone ring hole, but there is an air gap(barely the thickness of a paper match). Anyone remember those?

Does anyone know if having metal this close behind the tone ring hole will affect the signal to the ECM? I can always carefully grind or have it milled back a ways trying to keep all the reliefs the same size to not affect the balance.[/QUOTE
hi there, after talking this over with a tune-up buddy, all the crank sensor needs is a interruption of its magnetic field to fire. when you think of how close you have to set the sensor airgap for it to work normaly, it should reconize the gap you have. if its possable to machine a little more from the convertor without hurting the ballance or strenght, that might help.

-
Back