5.2 Magnum swap into 70s-80s truck

-

jd340

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever done that swap? My 94 Ram is in rough shape (body, front end, brakes, etc. all need attention). I'm considering picking up an older D series truck and swapping the drivetrain into it. My truck has fairly low mileage and runs like a top still. An earlier truck weighs roughly 600lbs or so less, so I should see some mileage improvement as well. Also pre-1988 vehicles don't need to be smogged in my area, so that's another plus. So I ask, is it worthwhile? Wiring nightmare? Please share your experiences.

Has anyone here ever done that swap? My 94 Ram is in rough shape (body, front end, brakes, etc. all need attention). I'm considering picking up an older D series truck and swapping the drivetrain into it. My truck has fairly low mileage and runs like a top still. An earlier truck weighs roughly 600lbs or so less, so I should see some mileage improvement as well. Also pre-1988 vehicles don't need to be smogged in my area, so that's another plus. So I ask, is it worthwhile? Wiring nightmare? Please share your experiences.

you would have to change your engine mounts to the earlier ones, they just bolt on, wiring isn't bad if you get a diagram for your 1994 truck, HP is better then the LA engine and the bonus of MPFI is nice too

Pretty much what I was thinking. OD would be nice too. I'm not looking for a hot rod, just a dependable daily driver that gets "reasonable" mileage for a truck. ;)

I've found two candidates so far about 3 hours away. Only thing holding me back is the $2000 needed to buy either of them. :(

I have an 87 Mazda p/u with the entire 96 Dodge Ram 5.2 Magnum with the beer keg fuel injection and 46re transmission in it

So is it as simple as supplying 12 volts to the computer? I know I'm over simplifying that, and my 94 trans is the 518, still hydraulic controlled, correct? I can use the dash switch to control od/torque converter lockup as well. I'm still in the early spit balling stages here just seeing what's involved. That little Mazda must haul!

So is it as simple as supplying 12 volts to the computer? I know I'm over simplifying that, and my 94 trans is the 518, still hydraulic controlled, correct? I can use the dash switch to control od/torque converter lockup as well. I'm still in the early spit balling stages here just seeing what's involved. That little Mazda must haul!
yes your 94 trans is still hydraulic controlled.just electric convertor lock up,in 94 dodge called this trans a 46rh not a 518.....just some info

Good to know Mike, thanks! Once you get into all the variants, I tend to get lost a bit. Let's see if I'm close now. 91-93 would be A500/518, 94-95 46rh, 96-up 46re, correct? The stock trans x member could be reused, but has to be relocated farther back, if I've read correctly in the past. I won't ask for a step by step guide here, but if anyone has a link to a good build thread somewhere, please share it. Great info so far.

What really bums me is why an overdrive would need a separate switch as if this was truly a great transmission no one could do without

Good point, Hotlines. Maybe it was cheaper to add a switch than to rework the detents on the shifter pawl? That, and instrument panel display would've had to be changed as well. For a truck platform that was a couple years from being completely updated, the switch was probably the cheapest, easiest option. Why the button wasn't done away with for the 94 model launch, I have no good ideas.

What really bums me is why an overdrive would need a separate switch as if this was truly a great transmission no one could do without

the switch shuts off the overdrive for towing, thats its only function, you don't need to have it, but its good if you do and need it. makes it so almost all the older parts (shifter, kickdown) will fit from 902/727 transmissions

Helped out with this 1985 ram. It's a 93 5.2L mag. Was a slant six prior. Has an A500 behind it. With a wiring harness it actually isn't too bad. The gauges are probably the most work to be honest.

Attachments

• 318ram1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 473
  • 318ram3.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 433
  • 318ram2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 444
  • DSC00800.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 468
Very nice dartfever! I wish I had posted this sooner. I was just in London Friday afternoon, and a small detour to Belmont would've been welcome.

That's my buddy's truck. We have a show in London aug 10th this year that it might be at. I'll ask him if he's going to bring it or not.

The truck is pretty nice. The owner is a retired painter did all the bodywork himself. Came out really nice. Has charcoal stripes down the hood.

The show is a Hartman's Automotive. It's on Dundas near the Kelloggs factory. The 69 is not finished yet, but I will be there with my 67 Satellite. Really cool show, everything from rat rods to rail cars and everything in between, live music, and a BBQ. Here a few pics from past years.

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/2011show/Hartmans_Bash_August_13_2011_Darwin_Kent/

Attachments

• hartmans 2012 1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 406
  • hartmans 2012 2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 394
  • hartmans 2012 3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 359
  • 67 satellite.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 395
  • DSC00801.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 384
Cool show. Hope I can make it. First I've ever heard of it. You'd think my in laws would let me know about this kind of stuff!

They don't advertise at all, just word of mouth. It's seems to get a different crowd. Don't have a lot of the car snobs that just sit behind their cars the whole time.

-
Back