5.7 Cylander walls.. can/should i go to 6.1

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
think something was up so id have to probably go with a 6.1 computer.Ok guys, i just got my 5.7 hemi block cleaned up at a shop. The guy who did it honed out the cylander walls. Heres the catch, i havent got to look at it yet, but the guy who did the work said that there are slight pits in the walls. He said hes seen guys run worse, but wasnt sure if i would get blow back (not sure what that is). He wanted me to check to see if chrysler had some 30 over pistons for it, but i dont think they do from the factory and all the after market stuff is way over priced right now. I know they have 6.1 pistons, but i didnt want to really go to 6.1. Has anyone ran a motor with small pitts in the cylander wall?
I dont have near the knowledge alot of you guys do about this stuff and need some advice. I wanted to keep this a 5.7, but that option my be out. If i go to 6.1 i can get 6.1 stuff from the factory, but will i be able to run the rest of my engine with 5.7 stuff (besides the pistons of course)or will the bigger bore require all 6.1 stuff throughout the engine in order to run right? the only thing i can think of is that with the bigger cylanders, the computer would get confused so id most likely have to use the 6.1 computer,heads,intake.
could i get away with just boring it out to 6.1 so i could use the 6.1 pistons, but use my 5.7 heads? if the pitts arent too bad would you advise just using 5.7 pistons and hope that nothing bad will come of it? Could i bore this 5.7 out and fill it with 6.1 parts? i know the 6.1 and 5.7 have different parts inside, but could i just order these things and make this 5.7 a 6.1? thanks for any advise. I really bought this block to just mock up stuff in my car, but if i can use it id like to. thanks

Dodgenut64, you definitely don't want any pits in cylinder walls. That being said I would guess that the least expensive and closest to stock repair would be to bore a minimum amount out of cylinders and get oversized pistons. I find it hard to beleive that 30 over or less pistons are not readily available for your application. Thats a standard rebuild part. As far as going from 5.7 to 6.1, I would imagine that would really open up a big can of worms. I am not familiar enough with the two blocks to tell you if this can even be done. Mike

reading up on the 6.1 i discovered there are lots of things different. So i think for now ill just use it to see what fits were, and then later get a new engine. Kinda sucks, but thats why i didnt spend too much on this engine. It will still serve its perpose though.

-
Back