5.7 Hemi in Duster

-

four_gear

Reaction score
I found a brand new 2019 5.7 for a ram 1500 still in the crate. I’m looking at putting it into a 72 duster with the tremec tkx. Is there anything else that I’m going to have to change? Intake, oil pan, front cover? What about ecu and wiring?

I found a brand new 2019 5.7 for a ram 1500 still in the crate. I’m looking at putting it into a 72 duster with the tremec tkx. Is there anything else that I’m going to have to change? Intake, oil pan, front cover? What about ecu and wiring?
Yes, to just about everything.
Pan, pickup, exhaust, probable steering mods, trans crossmember and tunnel mods, frame connectors, electrical and electronics, cooling, etc.
Plus decisions to be made- keeping the VVT/MDS, upgrading/changing suspension, braking and rear end, modded factory electronics or aftermarket, not to mention whatever work the Duster needs to become a solid starting point...
You're not the first one down this road, so:
upload_2021-11-6_9-56-51.png

Read up- lots of choices to be made, then ask questions. This ain't no bolt in, and isn't a "catalog swap".

I’m not worried about all the body mods etc. More concerned about wiring harnesses and the ecu. Hoping to do away with the mds. And actually engine parts that need to be changed out. I can get a good deal on this engine. But if it ends up needing a bucnch if things swapped out then I need to reconsider and possible buy something that is already setup.

I’m not worried about all the body mods etc. More concerned about wiring harnesses and the ecu. Hoping to do away with the mds. And actually engine parts that need to be changed out. I can get a good deal on this engine. But if it ends up needing a bucnch if things swapped out then I need to reconsider and possible buy something that is already setup.
Just get a Holley Terminator or Dominator and get rid of the factory Hemi CANBUS crap

I am going down the same path with a 71 Charger except I have a crate pass car 2019 5.7. Here is what I am doing;

Engine control system - Holley Terminator X Max with VVT control
Oil Pan - Holley cast aluminum
Front cover - Holley mid plate with all accessories (Alt, AC, PS)
Header/exhaust - TTI (works with stock or Borgeson box)
Motor Mounts - TTI (only ones that work with their headers)
Trans - SST TKX kit (comes with everything except the pedals)

The only other item is oil filter adapter, there are several 45 deg versions you can use but I think I am going with a remote filter.

Before someone jumps in, no this all is/was not cheap and yes you can do it for less money, but this will be a very clean and relatively easy install. I am fully capable of pretty extensive fabrication but in this case there was not good reason to go down the path.

Not to mention that parts availability is spotty at best for the foreseeable future. Do your swap on paper first, with plan A, B, and C- then start making calls to see what's available and what's on backorder. Call, don't trust websites. Chances are your first choices won't be available. Once you find a complete doable build plan, get your parts ordered while you can, and don't tear into it until you have everything in hand. If you can't fab hard parts or don't "speak" electronics, don't be surprised if you have to put things on hold for a while, and that's a lot more palatable without the car scattered all across your garage for an indeterminate amount of time.

-
Back